*Chapter Thirty One* {Crescent City}

*Sooo, who watches Supernatural? Don't get too excited, I'm not bringing in the Winchesters in this book*

Elijah and Kol had returned with Rebekah not long after they found her. Now that she's not being channeled anymore she's right as rain along with a very clingy Asher. 

Claire was happy Madelyn was completely oblivious to the horrors of the day as she read about dragons and princesses with Finn in the library. Claire had visited with them for a little while but it was obvious Madelyn was enjoying her time with Finn alone so Claire let them be.

It was near midnight by the time Klaus returned.

"Are you tired, Sweetheart?" Klaus asks slowly walking out onto the back porch where Claire is rocking slowly in one of the chairs.

"No, I'm alright" Claire says giving him a smile. He returns it and takes a seat beside her. 

Despite his best efforts he couldn't understand the feel of the atmosphere around them. He couldn't tell if she was upset, if she was tired or just relaxed. He got the feeling that she knew something but couldn't tell.

They sit in peace for a few moments until Claire speaks up.

"Did you take care of Papa Tunde?" 

Klaus sighs through his nose and doesn't respond right away. 

"He kidnapped Rebekah," Claire informed him. "Elijah came to me and explained what was going on so that I could help him find her"

"He's not going anywhere near you or either of our children" Klaus promised his eyes glancing at her swollen stomach.

"I trust you, Klaus" Claire says looking at him. He hesitates but eventually meets her gaze. "And I know you don't trust me anymore," She whispers trying to not get emotional but could feel her hormones get the better of her.

"Claire" Klaus whispers.

"I promise I'll get it back" She tells him softly. "I'll earn it back"

They stare into each others eyes for a moment longer. Klaus watches a tear slide down her face slowly. The tear doesn't fall past her cheekbone before Klaus whisks her out of her seat and onto his lap sideways. She gasps slightly at the suddenness. Klaus leans forwards and lightly kisses the tear away.

"I do trust you, sweetheart" Klaus whispers caresses her cheek. He looks deep into her eyes and presses their foreheads together. "You care so much that it blinds you sometimes. You're extremely intelligent but you can be impulsive and right now you're not in a position to be impulsive." He explains lightly. "I love you and I love what makes you you." He smiles slightly at her. "You just need to be more careful and let us handle the dangerous tasks, alright?"

"Alright" She agrees quietly. 

"I love you," He tells her sincerely. "You're my fiance, my mate, the mother of my children and the love of my life. I will always love you and I will always trust you."