4. New & Old Faces

Chloe closes the door to her apartment, letting out a sigh.

"Hard day at work?"

She spins around at the sound of the unfamiliar voice, grabbing one of the knives Maze had hidden around the place, silently thanking the demon for what she had thought was unnecessary. Chloe tenses, seeing the black-and-orange haired man sitting calmly in the living room.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" she asks.

"Name's Nyxeus. I came to talk," Nyx replies. "Come sit down, and if all goes well, no one will get hurt. Isn't that right, dear?"

"Mommy," Trixie says softly.

Chloe's blood turns cold as she slowly walks forward, now spotting her daughter next to the unknown man.

"Trixie," she whispers. She looks to the man, "what do you want?"

"To talk, like I said," Nyx replies. "About my dearly beloved, Luci."

"Lucifer?" Chloe says. "You're his ex. The one he thinks has been killing those people."

"Oh he's quite right about that," Nyx says casually. "They deserved it for everything they did to me. Now, I am on a rather tight schedule. I wanted to ask, what are your thoughts on Luci?"

Chloe sighs, thinking of how to reply. "He's... annoying. Confusing. Hard to understand. But he does get work done and he is a help on cases."

"You don't see him as anything more than a friend?"

"Oh, no," Chloe says, rather surprised. "No, we're— I see him as a partner. A friend too, I guess. But no, I don't have a romantic interest in him."

Nyx studies her for a few seconds then nods, smiling. "Good, because he's mine. Even after all this time, he is mine."

Chloe doesn't say anything, thinking that she'll need to let Lucifer know later once this man is gone.

While Chloe stays silent, Nyx reaches out with his power, tapping into her mind. Finding a dark corner, he plants a small part of his magic there, just enough to be able to monitor her and her activities and feed in more magic to control her if the need arises.

"What makes him yours?" Chloe asks eventually.

"Well for one, my mark on his chest," Nyx replies like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "And I never betrayed him like he thinks. I'm the one who stood beside him when his father threw him out. I'm the one who protected him through everything. Me."

Chloe's eyes widen ever so slightly, hearing the tone of insanity in Nyx's voice.

The door opens again and Maze steps in, going still when she sees the draxon.

"You!" she growls, grabbing one of her blades and striding forward.

"Mazikeen!" Nyx says happily with a smile, standing up and walking around the side of the couch. "I was wondering when you would show up. Long time, no see."

"You won't be seeing anything when I'm done with you," Maze hisses, lunging forward.

Chloe runs over to Trixie as Maze starts fighting with Nyx, Maze letting out grunts and shouts while Nyx remains silent.

"Nice try, Maze," Nyx says, managing to pin the demon to the floor. "But you will never be good enough to defeat me."

"You don't know that," the demon hisses.

"I do know that," Nyx counters. "I am a god, you are a demon. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have someone else to visit."

He stands up and heads for the door, stepping out. Maze gets up to chase after him, but when she steps outside, the draxon is already gone.