42. The Battle of the Moon & Sun

"Queen?" Lucifer whispers softly, his brow furrowing as his heart drops.

Nyx always said he was the draxon's first and only lover. Was that a lie? Did Nyx hide something like that the whole time they knew each other?

"I... I never—"

Nyx's words echo in the devil's mind. Never what? Never told you that I've been lying the entire time? Never told you there was once a queen?

No. No, Nyxeus always tells the truth. He doesn't lie. Sometimes he twists his words or lets someone miss interpret what he says, but he never outright lies.

"There's never been a second king. You will be the first, my angel."

Second king. Nyx never said anything about being the first coruler of the realm. Maybe the draxon really did once have a queen.

"You're my first and only lover, Samael, that I promise you."

There's no way around that. Those words are straightforward, the devil is truly the draxon's first and only love, right? Yet God was created with Goddess, a companion and eventual wife. Is it so impossible that Nyx was created with a dragon meant for him as well?

"Forever, my love."

Forever. Even if there was once a queen, forever is well, forever. Lucifer takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly in an effort to calm his anxiety. Nothing is going to come between the devil and the draxon. Not again. Even if a long-forgotten queen returns, Nyxeus belongs to the devil and Lucifer belongs to the draxon.

"Lucifer, are you alright?"

The devil blinks, Chloe's words pulling him from his thoughts. The four other beings in the room are watching the devil worriedly.

"I— Yes, I'm fine," Lucifer says defensively. "Just... Nyx always said I'm his first and only."

"That's what he's told me," Dan says, "And we all know he doesn't lie."

Lucifer nods, saying, "Let's talk to Maze and then your little urchin; take a little break from all of this before watching that battle Jinx mentioned."

The three humans look to each other, all worried that the devil may be ignoring his emotions as he's shown to do.

"Lucifer," Ella says.

The devil shakes his head, "I'm fine, Miss Lopez. Nyxeus is mine, that I have no doubt in. Even if this queen comes back, he is mine and I have confidence in saying nothing is going to take him away from me. If anything, I'm angry he never told me about this queen character."

"You think there really was a queen once?" Chloe asks.

"Everything shown by the Watch Tower is true, Detective. Show me the demon Mazikeen."

With a swirl of light, the image of Lucifer's penthouse appears, the demon searching within, demons blades clasped in her hands.

"Lucifer!" Maze shouts, "For the sake of you not being stabbed when I finally find you, where the hell are you?!"

"Aw, she's concerned," Lucifer muses with a grin. "Let me speak to her." The runes flare green as Maze whirls around, raising her blades suspiciously. Lucifer chuckles lightly, "Relax, Maze."

"Lucifer?"

"Who else?"

"You're in the Dragonlands?"

"The Detective, Daniel and Miss Lopez are here too. And Nyx is dead so we're stuck here for at most six months."

The demon frowns. "The LAPD is in a frenzy. You're missing, and I can't exactly tell them the truth."