11. Return of the Draxon

Nyx wakes slowly, his eyes opening to find himself in his throne room, in dragon form resting on the throne.

He tries to stand, only for his legs to shake and give out.

*Great,* he hisses. *So I get resurrected as soon as my magic is strong enough only to awake with no power or strength... Well, at least I now know what happens when I die.*

*Nyx?* Jinx lands on the balcony, running into the room. *Finally, you're back.*

*Mhmm. How'd you know so fast? And how long hasn't it been?*

*The gates reopened; they've been closed ever since you... you died. It's been... it's been nearly six months.*

*Six months,* Nyx whispers, Jinx helping him stand. *Has anything interesting happened?*

*Not really,* the golden dragon replies. *Everyone's left little gifts and such for you though.*

Nyx looks around the throne room, now noticing the many gifts lining the walls. *Wow...*

*Come on, you need rest and food,* Jinx says, trying to nudge the draxon towards his bedroom.

*No, I need to find Luci,* Nyx counters.

*You can't even stand on your own. You're resting and recovering.*

*Mean dragon,* Nyx mumbles.

*Yes yes, I'm horrible. Now let's go.*

Finishing the song, Lucifer swirls his cup lightly, watching the liquid inside dance with the movement. Music echoes through the crowded floor of Lux.

No matter what he does, he can't seem to fill the empty space in his heart or ease the feeling of loneliness. Not even sex has helped, it just gives him a feeling that he's betraying someone or something.

The feeling has lingered ever since he found himself in that warehouse, blood covering his hands. Lucifer knows something important happened there, but he can't remember what. He suspects someone has manipulated his memory, but with Nyx locked in Hell, he can't think of anyone but God who may have that ability and even still, it's only a possibility.

Setting his glass down, he rests his hands on the piano keys, tensing as someone covers his eyes from behind.

"Guess who," a soft, familiar voice whispers.

Before he can answer, Lucifer is pulled inside his mind and led to a closed door. The door is opened by the mental intruder, and memories that had been locked away spill out. Memories that explain everything that's been troubling the devil.

"Nyx," Lucifer says, blinking and spinning around.

Nyx gives him a smile, sitting next to the devil. "I'm back."

"You erased my memory," Lucifer accuses, upset. "Why?"

"I..." Nyx looks away. "I wasn't sure if I would come back after dying. I couldn't let you lose me again so soon, Luci, I know that would break you."

Lucifer doesn't answer right away, knowing the draxon is right. "Let's go up to the penthouse; we'll need some privacy."

Nyx follows the devil into the elevator, where they share a passionate kiss. Lucifer pulls away as they step out into the penthouse, guilt overcoming his features and now keeping some space between him and the draxon.

"Nyx," Lucifer whispers. "I..."

Lucifer looks away, unable to continue. Nyx's eyes narrow, his previous suspicions now confirmed. He steps towards Lucifer, pulling the devil against his chest.