15. Prayer

"Are you sure you don't have superpowers?" Dan says, he and Nyx having just brought in their fourth killer of the week. "It's like you can just read their minds and get them to say what they're thinking.

Nyx smiles lightly. "I feel their minds calling and I can't resist taking a peek."

"What am I thinking right now?"

Nyx tilts his head, taking a look into the detective's mind. "Lucifer and Pierce... having a seafood dinner together?"

Dan lets out a huff. "I tried to think of something you wouldn't be able to guess. You're either really good at guessing or can actually read minds, I don't know."

"I can prove it if you want," Nyx suggests. "By the way, I'm quite sure Luci's not fond of seafood."

"I'm good without proof," Dan says. "But maybe one day."

"One day," Nyx repeats. "... D'you feel like coming to Lux for an hour or two? I'd say we're done for the day, we can start on another case tomorrow."

Dan thinks for a few seconds before nodding, "Alright. Celebrate a new and good partnership. But if I get drunk, you're taking me home."

Nyx grins, "deal."

Lucifer walks down the club's stairs after a successful evening sting operation. His eyes are immediately drawn to his lover, standing in the middle of the floor and singing along with the rock song playing through the club speakers.

"Do you remember all the plans we made?
Hopin', prayin' for a better day
Tell me what ever happened to the love we gave?
The promise that we both betrayed
And the songs we sang
The times we fought for everything
Tell me what ever happened to what I've become?
The pain I feel for where I'm from
Do you remember all the plans we made?
Hopin', prayin' for a better day
Tell me what ever happened to the love we gave?
The promise that we both betrayed"

The song ends and the draxon heads over to the bar with a wide grin. Lucifer walks over, seeing Nyx talking with Dan.

"How was that?" Nyx asks. "Up to your expectations?"

"And quite a ways past them," Dan says. "Hey Lucifer."

"Daniel," the devil greets. "Nyx."

"Luci," Nyx says happily, putting an arm around the devil's shoulder and pulling him close. "How'd your operation go, love?"

"Huge success and another killer is behind bars," Lucifer replies, his muscles releasing their previously unnoticed tension. "How's your little party of two over here?"

"Dan thought I couldn't sing," Nyx says with a pout.

"And you proved me wrong," Dan says. "Now, it's getting late and we have work tomorrow, and I've had too many drinks to be legally allowed to drive..."

Nyx smiles. "Alright, I'll drive you home."

Giving the devil a quick kiss, the two head out of the club to Dan's car. Dan falls asleep in the passenger seat on the way, Nyx already knowing where to go since they'd gone over the detective's address earlier.

Nyx hums himself as he parks in Dan's driveway and carries the sleeping man inside after finding the keys in Dan's pocket. He gets a glass of water and places it on the nightstand next to the bed where the draxon lays the man down. He locks the front door then flies out of the house, landing just a block away and deciding to walk back to Lux.