45. Desperation

Lucifer's eyes snap open. La'rayel's laughter echoes in his head. The devil sits up, his fingers going to his chest where she had dug her claws into his skin in the dream. His blood runs cold when he feels a warm liquid on his chest. He pulls his fingers back, looking at them.

Blood.

Lucifer's eyes widen. Looking down at his chest, he sees the small cut across his skin, right where the white dragon had slashed her claws. A shaky breath escapes the devil, fear starting to rise.

What does this mean? Can La'rayel hurt his body through his dreams? Can she do worse? The dragon's been frequently haunting his dreams during the month they've spent in the Dragonlands, but never has there been any wounds to his real body.

"I'm not up for this Freddy Krueger bull," Lucifer mumbles with a yawn, seeing the sun just peeking over the horizon.

Lucifer's head snaps up when a low hum fills the otherwise silent room. He looks around, becoming aware of the familiar presence nearby.

"Nyxeus," he whispers.

The hum becomes a soft purr. Lucifer smiles softly, feeling the ghost of his lover's body curl up around him. The devil feels one talon gently run over the cut on his chest, the purr turning to an upset growl.

"She's been in my dreams this past month," Lucifer whispers, his eyes searching the air around him for any visible sign of his lover's presence. "I think she's going to come after me when she can." Nyx's growl grows, clearly unhappy. A small bolt of magic heals the cut and makes Lucifer frown, "You should save your magic. It would mean you're back faster, right?"

A whine. Lucifer's brows furrow in confusion and his head tilts as he listens to his lover's whines and chuffs. The draxon sounds upset, his body curling closer against Lucifer for comfort.

"The brightest night is in a few days," Lucifer whispers. "I'm sure the dragons would love to have you there for the first time in centuries." A soft chuff is given in return. Lucifer smiles softly, mumbling, "I'm guessing you're close to returning, or really impatient."

Nyx whines. The devil feels what he assumes in the draxon's head nuzzling the crook of his neck. On instinct, Lucifer reaches up to cup his lover's cheek, but his fingers meet nothing but air. A painful stab strikes the devil's heart as he remembers: he can't touch the draxon. Nyx's body pressed against his is nothing but a feeling. There's no impression on the bed of the draxon's weight resting there. No smokey scent of his scales. He's nothing but a ghost with a presence known to none but the devil.

Adding to his despair, the draxon's presence suddenly disappears as if forcefully ripped away. Alone and feeling empty, Lucifer's eyes close as he tries to push down the tears threatening to surface. His attempt fails and his vision blurs.

"Come back," Lucifer whispers, his head bowing as tears fall from his eyes. "Nyxeus, Come back."

*Let me out.*

Not yet.

*Let me out. Please.*

*How long can we let him do this?*

Twelve of the thirteen firsts watch sadly as the draxon continues pushing against the barrier keeping his soul in the grasp of the creator.

*I don't think anything will get him to stop,* Kirillion whispers.

Hex nods, agreeing.

By now, Nyx is banging his head against the barrier, as well as headbutting it. It doesn't hurt, he doesn't currently have a body to feel pain with, but the action still causes the watching dragons to wince.

*Should we tell him?* Dexius asks softly.

Nebula shakes her head, *I doubt it would help. It would bring the question of why he can't leave before we are ready.*

*But why can't he?* Hex asks. She nods in Nyx's direction, *Surely the creator must know how this is hurting him.*

Nebula shakes her head sadly, *Our creator works in ways we do not know... The creator has been good in letting him visit Lucifer, but in withholding him from doing so... There must be a good reason, or we must be getting released soon. I cannot bear to watch our poor king's desperation much longer.*

As if on cue, the draxon screams, *Let me out!*

He puncuates every word with a slam of his head against the barrier trapping him. Nyx lets out a wail of despair, now standing with his forehead pressed against the barrier, his wings heavy at his sides. A quiet sniffle reaches the ears of the watching souls, their eyes widening and locking on the tear that rolls down the draxon's snout. The dragons go to comfort him, only to stop as the creator's voice echoes softly.

Listen to me, Child. You will not be here much longer. Ease yourself.

*But Luci...*

Will still be there in three hours. Relax your mind, or I send you back with no strength or energy in your body. Nyx whines but doesn't argue anymore. Only three more hours, Nyxeus. You know you will need strength for what is to come.

The draxon scowls, lifting his head to look up, *Why let her out? You've never protested how we turned out, so why let her return?*

He gets no reply which causes his scowl to deepen.

*Soon, Nyx,* Hex says, moving closer to the king. *Soon, we return.*

Nyx goes to reply, then freezes, his eyes wide as he looks at her. *We?*

Hex tenses, giving the king a sheepish look, *We are returning with you. Kirillion, Nebula, Dexius and I. The creator would not release all of us, but the four of us are returning to the universe.*

*Why?*

*We are not letting you face her on your own again,* Kirillion says, slithering over. *You did once, and we know you were hurt. We won't allow it to happen again, right?*

Dexius shrugs, *I just wanna explore Earth.* The forest green dragon yelps as Kirillion whacks him over the head with his tail. *I was joking! I do wanna explore, but of course I'm helping to fight!*

Nebula rolls her eyes. *Soon, Nyxeus. Soon.*

The draxon nods, *Soon.*

This was originally going to be the beginning of the next chapter, but it's quite long so I decided to separate them.