24. Finding Out

Lucifer's eyes open slowly, a tired yawn passing his lips. He groans softly at the pain in his ass and faint numbness in his wings from his position. The devil is on his back in the middle of the bed, wings spread on either side of him. The draxon is sleeping on his stomach with his head on Lucifer's chest, body between the devil's legs, his sleek black wings out as well and partly covering Lucifer's.

The devil smiles at his sleeping lover, his fingers starting to gently run through the draxon's long dark hair. A few minutes later, a soft groan escapes Nyx's lips followed by his purrs of happy content.

"You're just like a cat," Lucifer murmurs, smiling. "A large, scaly and sometimes terrifying cat."

"Cats can be terrifying," Nyx mumbles in return.

Lucifer hums, "Not nearly as much as you."

"True... Hmm, Luci?"

"Yes love?"

In response, Nyx taps his mark on the devil's chest. Seeing how it's faded, Lucifer gives the draxon a nod, telling him to go ahead. Nyx starts to summon flames to the back of his throat. He places a soft kiss on Lucifer's chest, over his heart, where the faded burn in the shape of a flaming crown marks his skin. Nyx breathes out softly, pushing the flames past his lips, tickling Lucifer's skin and making the devil hiss slightly. Then Nyx pulls back, smiling proudly at the renewed mark on the devil's skin. His mark.

It silent for a minute or so, Lucifer still combing his fingers through his lover's hair. Then, with a sudden, startled yelp, Nyx's body shifts into his dragon form and he worms his way out from under the covers and onto the floor. Lucifer props himself up, watching his lover look at himself in confusion.

He concentrates for a few seconds, and when nothing happens, he shrinks to a slightly smaller size and climbs up onto the bed again, choosing to lie closer to the foot of the bed.

"What happened?" Lucifer asks, deciding to put his wings away to take up less space on the bed.

*I've spent so much time in my human form lately, and my body has apparently decided to revert to my natural form,* the draxon replies.

"For how long?"

*Honestly, I'm not sure.*

Nyx lies his head down, his tail finding Lucifer's ankle under the covers and draping over it. Keeping his wings against his sides, he shifts a bit until he's comfortable, a purr rumbling in his chest again.

Lucifer watches his lover, a smile on his lips as he murmurs, "Like a cat."

Lucifer looks over Chloe's shoulder at the body lying on the ground. "Seems like he's had a heart attack... literally."

"Lucifer!" Chloe says, startled and turning around, "Don't just sneak up on me like that!"

The devil gives her a confused look, "I didn't mean to, but I'll try not to do it again. What've we got?"

Chloe's brows furrow at his response to her before she focuses on his question, "One victim, no identification yet, seems to have died from blunt force trauma to the head and, like you oddly mentioned, the heart is gone. There's this strange symbol carved into the side of his neck, maybe some gang symbol."

At her words, Lucifer looks at the victim's neck, seeing the symbol there.

"That's the symbol for the gang, the Crimson Vipers," he notes.

Chloe looks at him, "Let me guess, you did them some favours?"

"Indeed, Detective," the devil replies. "Their leader was having troubles with rival gangs so I pulled some strings and got them a few good allies."