39. Vengeance Shall be Ours This Night

Dragon: four legs, two wings, flight
Drake: four legs, no wings, flightless
Wyvern: two legs, two wings, flight
Amphithere: no legs, two wings, flight
Lung: four short legs, no wings, snake-like body, flight
Wyrm: no legs, snake-like body, flightless

"Aw, you're right Luci; he does look like a potato."

Amenadiel raises an eyebrow at his brother, who shrugs as much as he can while holding the baby. Nyx stands at Lucifer's shoulder, cooing happily at Charlie.

Lucifer looks at his lover, "Nyxeus, do you want to...?"

The draxon's eyes light up, looking between Lucifer and Amenadiel, "Can I?"

Amenadiel nods and Lucifer carefully hands Charlie over to Nyx. The draxon ignores the two celestials' conversation, instead focusing on the little baby in his arms. Lucifer eventually walks off to see Linda after giving Nyx a quick kiss while Amenadiel stays with his child.

"Nyxeus?" he says, drawing the draxon's attention. "I just want to be sure, being the first half human, half angel child... Is Charlie alright mentally?"

"You want me to check?" Nyx asks to be sure, his head tilting.

Amenadiel nods, "Please."

"Alright. He is a baby, so his mind isn't fully developed. It's possible that things could shift later in life."

With that, Nyx's magic enters Charlie's mind. The draxon looks around carefully, searching the baby's mind, his thoughts and few memories.

"Well?" Amenadiel asks a little nervously as Nyx draws back.

"He's fine," the draxon says with a smile. "Perfectly healthy. I would leave a monitor in his mind, just in case, but it could affect his mental development, having to grow around my magic, so I won't. But I know you won't let anything happen to this little sweetheart."

Amenadiel smiles softly, "No, I won't."

"You plan to take him to the Silver City," Nyx states.

"I... Think it's for the best."

"Yes? He will be safe there, but is it worth it to grow up without his mother?"

Amenadiel frowns, "You tell me. You've dealt with dragonets, has there ever been a case where you have to choose?"

Nyx shrugs, "We mate for life, so not really. There have been a few cases of un-mated egg-bearing, and those eggs always stayed with the mother unless she didn't want them."

"In which case?"

"They went to the father. If he didn't want them, they went to willing parents, to the nursery as orphans, or, before the... Hell incident, I raised them myself."

"You?"

"Yes. I have experience in raising dragonets; I raised Jinx."

"And look how he turned out," Amenadiel says with a small smirk.

Nyx pouts, "That was eons ago, we were different then... His siblings weren't that bad."

The angel smiles. "I heard Staris decided to visit Linda?"

"Yes, she did," Nyx replies. "She's back in the Dragonlands with strict instructions to tell someone and get Jinx or I to bring her to Earth. With demons constantly attacking Sunlight Meadow where the dragonets play, then—"

"What is it?" Amenadiel asks as the draxon cuts himself off.

"They've been attacking the meadow," he says softly, eyes wide with realization. "They always attack near the meadow... They're after the dragonets."