26. What's Next

Nyx's eyes open slowly. A soft sigh escapes his lips as he stands.

"This is better," he whispers, "For everyone."

He turns towards the door before stopping. He looks back to the dim, circular room of his palace's tallest tower. Decorated in purples and blues and giving a calm, relaxing atmosphere, pillars around the room supporting a second floor that overlooks the first, a gold railing lining this balcony-like floor. A set of steps against the wall leads up to the second floor and cushions lie around the wall of the room. In the center of the room, a circle of glass lies embedded in the floor, a line of gold around it. Below the glass, as soft white light shimmers and dances.

Nyx steps towards it again. "Show me Daniel Espinoza."

The light brightens, projecting an image in the open space above it. The colours of the image twist and spiral before focusing to become Dan's bedroom, where said man is already asleep.

A soft smile crosses Nyx's lips. He watches the image for a second before flying up to the second floor where the only door is. He steps out of the room, his magic locking the door behind him.

With a soft sigh, Nyx looks up to the starry night sky above him. The draxon has always loved watching the night sky, the hundreds upon thousands of stars twinkling above him.

Shifting into his dragon form, Nyx flies back to his throne room where Jinx, Vortex and Qietiye wait.

*Well?* Vortex asks.

Nyx gives him a nod, *Do it. Close the gates. Don't let anyone in, not even Luci.*

*Is this really a good idea, Nyx?* Jinx asks as Vortex flies out of the room.

*I need to do this,* Nyx replies.

*We'll be here,* Qietiye says, *You're not alone, Nyx, don't forget that.*

Nyx smiles, giving him a nod. *I won't. Get some rest, both of you.*

Bowing their heads, Jinx and Qietiye both fly out, leaving the draxon alone. Nyx turns and walks further into the palace to the one room he hasn't visited since his escape from hell.

Stepping inside, Nyx looks around, hundreds of memories flashing through his mind as his eyes find all the little trinkets and memoirs kept on pedestals within the room.

The dagger used to kill Abel. A small marble statue of one angel wing and one dragon wing that Lucifer had given to him before the angel's fall. The silver ring with a bright orange fire opal that had been on his finger when he, the dragons and the realm first appeared in the universe.

A number of gifts from young dragons were there too. Pretty shells and pearls from young sea dragons. Flower crowns and shimmering gemstones from earth dragons (he had spelled the flower crowns to remain beautiful and healthy forever). Soft, fluffy white bits of cloud from the air dragons, along with a few dark ones taken from thunderstorms that occasionally let off a flash of lightning within.

Nyx takes the silver ring, looking at it for a few seconds before slipping it onto the middle finger of his left talon, knowing it's unbreakable and able to survive his shifts between forms.

Walking further into the room, Nyx looks over everything, and lets himself remember.

Dan looks over to where a distracted-looking Lucifer is standing with Chloe.

Should he ask about Nyx or not? Is it worth it?

The supposed devil already looks distracted and unhappy. Probably thinking about Nyx like he is, Dan thinks.

A soft sigh escapes him. He won't ask, despite the desire to. Not yet, when the pain of the argument and maybe even break up seems to bother Lucifer so much. No need to add to what already looks like a bad day.

"Hey Dan," Ella says, "Whatcha thinking about?"

Dan looks at her, "Just what might've happened between Lucifer and Nyx. It's been four days already and no sign of him."

"Oh," Ella says. "I bet he's fine, maybe he just needs some space. He'll probably be back before you know it!"

"Yeah, thanks Ella."

The woman nods before disappearing back to the forensics lab.

Dan looks back to Lucifer, questions still circling his mind. The two had seemed so in love, so inseparable.

So what happened to drive Nyx away?

"Lucifer."

Lucifer looks over to the elevator as Amenadiel steps out.

"What are you doing here?" the devil asks, eyes narrowing.

"Well, I heard from Dan that Nyxeus is gone," Amenadiel replies. "I thought I'd better check up on you."

Lucifer scoffs, "I don't need a babysitter."

"But you need someone to talk to."

"I have people to talk to. The detective, Doctor Linda, Maze."

"But they don't understand you the way I do, Luci."

Lucifer tenses at the nickname despite the fact Amenadiel has used it dozens of times before. Nyx's voice flashes through his head, bringing a wince to the devil's face.

"What happened, Lucifer?" Amenadiel asks, sitting across from his brother whose lying sprawled across the couch.

Lucifer sighs, deciding he might as well answer. "Nyx was killing behind my back."

Amenadiel pauses, not quite expecting that response. "Oh."

A soft, humourless chuckle escapes Lucifer's lips. "Is that all you have to say? He mentioned he killed a couple shortly after meeting up with you about a month ago. What was that about, by the way?"

"He wanted to know if there was anything important you neglected to tell him," Amenadiel replies. "How many did he kill overall?"

"A whole gang and four more behind my back. And then he committed mass murder after our argument. Killed fourteen more. They were innocent."

"And Father has done nothing to retaliate?"

"Doesn't look like it. Yet, at least."

Amenadiel falls quiet, thinking about the new information.

Lucifer scoffs slightly, watching him for a few seconds before breaking the silence. "The gates to the Dragonlands are closed and locked, so I presume that's where Nyx has run off to... He said he was going to heal."

"Heal?" Amenadiel repeats.

"Mentally," Lucifer explains. "Heal the wounds Hell left on his mind."

"That could take years," Amenadiel says.

"Don't remind me," Lucifer replies. "He won't let me near him since apparently I distract him too much."

"Luci, he loves you," Amenadiel says. "He loves being around you, spoiling you, taking care of you. He would drop everything for you, and he can't do that if he's trying to heal."

Lucifer sighs, "I just wish I could be there to help... It's my fault he spent centuries in Hell in the first place."

Amenadiel gets up, walking over to the devil. Lucifer's brows furrow when the angel stands there for a few seconds. Meeting Lucifer's eyes, Amenadiel lifts a hand and slaps him.

"What was that for?!" Lucifer asks, reaching up to feel his cheek.

Amenadiel returns to his seat, shrugging, "Seems like what Nyx would want me to do if he heard you saying that. You and I both know he doesn't blame you, Luci, so stop blaming yourself."

Lucifer shakes his head with a sigh. Unconsciously, one hand reaches up to rub at Nyx's mark on his chest, a soft warmth spreading through his chest as he does.

The devil sighs again, whispering, "I want him back."