21. Nightmares

Furious, Nyx stormed towards the throne of Hell, where he knew Lucifer would be. His talons gave heavy thumps as they fell, wingtips brushing against the black stone on either side of him.

A low growl escaped his lips, angry thoughts racing through his mind.

'How dare they,' he thought, tail swishing behind him. 'There's no way Lucifer would fall for a scheme like that. Argh, fuck it, I'll fly.'

Climbing up one of the nearby rock spires, Nyx spread his wings and took off, covering the distance much faster. He passed one of his dragons on the way, eyes narrowing. Those demons couldn't have set their plan into motion already, could they?

Arriving at Hell's throne, he found the devil along with the plotting demons standing below. Eyes flashing, Nyx dove down, landing next to Lucifer, who instantly took a step back.

*Lucifer,* Nyx said, hurt and angered, shooting a venomous glare at the demons.

"Nyxeus," the devil replied, watching the draxon carefully, suspiciously. "These demons have just been telling me something very interesting."

*They're lying, Lucifer,* Nyx hissed, tail swishing angrily. *I just found out about their plot myself.*

"Their plot?" Lucifer repeated. "I think you mean your plot. Y'know, the one to kill me?"

*You know I would never do that, Lucifer,* Nyx said, fear starting to creep up on him as he saw the devil really was falling for the lies.

"Do I?" Lucifer replied. "Do dragons normally show their love by sending others to kill their lover?" He looked to the demons, "Lock him up."

*They set me up, Lucifer,* Nyx hissed, sending another chilling glare to the smirking demons. *I can easily pro—*

"I don't want to hear it," Lucifer said, cutting him off. "Proof or not, you're a master at manipulation. I can never know if you're lying or not."

*You know I never lie to you.*

Lucifer had stopped listening, watching as the demons attempted to capture the draxon. They were easily thrown back, colliding with the stone walls. Each time, they got back up and continued, more demons appearing at the commotion.

Realizing he may need a back up plan just in case, Nyx tilted his head back and released an ear-shattering roar, one that echoed throughout Hell all the way to the Dragonlands. Dozens of scaled heads snapped up at the sound, their eyes widening at the command carried in it.

*Come on!* Vortex hissed.

*Our King just told us to stay!* Qietiye replied, torn on what to do.

*We can't just leave him!*

*And we can't just disobey his orders!*

The dark blue dragon shifted, pacing and looking to Qietiye, *If we don't go, he could be locked in hell.*

The light green dragon met Vortex's eyes, *But Nyx told us to stay. And that tone left no room for argument.*

*Qietiye's right,* Jinx said softly, landing next to the two and looking guilty. *... He'll be fine. We need to close the gates.*

Meanwhile, Lucifer watched as the draxon continued throwing off the demons, his powers depleted after an issue the day before. The devil rubbed at his chest, a throbbing pain having settled there. Deciding to get it over with, Lucifer stepped closer. Seeing him approach, Nyx slowly stopped struggling, the demons stopping as well.

*Lucifer,* Nyx whispered, *Lucifer, please. You have to listen to me.*

Soft dark eyes met pleading orange ones. Lucifer brought one hand up to gently cradle the draxon's head. Pushing away the part of himself screaming to stop, Lucifer jabbed two fingers into the weak spot that only he knew lied at the top of the dragon's neck.

The dizziness that hit the draxon was enough to let the dozens of gathered demons get the best of him. Lucifer hit that weak spot again, sending a wave of darkness through Nyx's vision. The devil's cold eyes found the draxon's dazed, scared ones and he hesitated.

Focusing on his anger instead, Lucifer jabbed the softer scales a third time.

As darkness covered his eyes, Nyx managed a soft, upset hiss.

*Lucifer...*

Nyx's eyes open slowly and he looks around. "Luci?" He gets no answer, his brows furrowing as he calls louder, "Lucifer?"

He moves to get up, only to slump down on the bed when he remembers where the devil is. Still on that undercover job with Pierce. In other words, not there with him.

Feeling a wet patch on the pillow under his cheek leads Nyx to realize he was crying. His eyes squeeze shut, face twisting up in a grimace as another wave of painful sadness washes over him. Moving down on the bed, Nyx pulls the covers over his head so he's completely hidden, curling up in the center of the bed.

Against his will, his mind brings forth the memory of what happened after that. He woke up in the deepest, coldest cell of Hell, wrists chained with magic-blocking steel shackles, preventing his power from aiding him in escape.

The darkness around him had swirled and become Lucifer's bedroom, showing the devil lying in his bed, eyes red and face wet from crying.

And that's how the draxon had remained for a couple millennia or so, chained in frozen darkness and subjected to watching the devil's every move. So he had taken to comforting himself with an added bonus of annoying the demons of Hell by singing constantly.

A quiet, shaky hum escapes Nyx lips, his eyes still closed and tears still falling. Soft words fall, voice a teary whisper, but a comforting warmth spreads through the draxon as he sings.

"We've been a lot of places,
And said a lot of words.
We've danced a thousand dances,
And felt a lot of hurt.

I've held on to you,
You've held on to me,
We've watched as the world changed around us.
And if time could go back,
I wouldn't change a thing,
But I would strengthen my love for you.

We've had beautiful memories,
And sweet kisses goodnight.
A thousand 'I love yous,'
And history to write.

I've told everything to you,
You've told everything to me,
No darkness can last when I'm with you.
And if time could go back,
I wouldn't change a thing,
But I would strengthen my love for you.

And if we could go back,
I wouldn't change a thing,
But I would strengthen my love for you."

Nyx takes a shuddering breath, arms wrapped around himself. He lies there for a long while, blocking out the world.

I need a distraction, he thinks eventually, coming out from under the blankets and sitting on the edge of the bed. Mustn't bother Luci.

The elevator dings, the doors sliding open. Nyx looks up curiously as a dark haired woman steps out, her movements slow and sensual. Nyx's eyes narrow as he looks into her mind to see what she wants.

So she thinks she can show up randomly for sex?

Distraction found, Nyx thinks darkly, walking down the steps leading to the bedroom, uncaring of the fact he's wearing only boxers.

The woman tilts her head, seeing him. "Oh. I didn't think Luci would have anyone else over."

"He's not here at the moment," Nyx replies. "But I'm sure I can keep you busy in his absence."

The woman studies him, a small smile coming to her lips. "Alright... And what do you have in mind."

Nyx smirks, eyes flashing orange. "A lot of fun."