14. Changing Plans

Nyx tilts his head, looking at the blood on Lucifer's fingers. "Dear, how did that get there?"

"Nyxeus," Lucifer says sternly, "what did you do?"

Nyx smiles, "I watched a very violent suicide earlier. Some of his blood must have splattered and escaped my notice."

"Violent sui—" Lucifer steps back, a humourless chuckle escaping his lips, "You've been killing those humans."

"They killed themselves, Luci," Nyx says.

"Oh, not without a little help," Lucifer replies, scandalized. "Let me guess; you'd take control of them and watch as you made them torture themselves?"

"You know me so well, love."

"Well that's the thing, Nyx. I don't know if I do anymore."

Nyx tilts his head, confused. "What do you mean by that? I'm still me, Luci."

"You would never hurt innocents," Lucifer says, keeping some distance between himself and the draxon. "You wouldn't use your powers so freely."

"That was before, when humanity was still in its infancy," Nyx replies lowly. "And they weren't innocent, Luci. No matter how much I may change, I will never hurt innocent beings. What those suicide letter said, those humans really did do on their own. They were killers, and they were going to get away with what they did."

Lucifer hesitates, finding a part of himself agreeing with his lover's actions. "Are you toying with my mind?"

Nyx growls, offended. "You know I promised to never play with your mind, Luci. I may look inside occasionally, but I will never change or hide anything there."

"You hid part of my memory when you died," Lucifer counters.

"I did that because I thought it was for the best!"

"So you'll break that promise if you think it's 'for the best' then?"

"Lucifer, you know you would have broken if you lost me."

"I locked you in hell!" Lucifer shouts, eyes flashing angrily. "I spent centuries without you and I was fine! I didn't break then, and I won't break now!"

"Oh really?" Nyx says skeptically. "Luci, do you remember how alone you felt before you met me? You had your siblings, but did any of them ever understand you like I do? You lived without me because you told yourself you had to. You don't have to live without me this time, but you could make the choice to. And if you made that choice, you would hate yourself. I know you, Lucifer. No matter what you tell yourself, what you use as a shield to hide behind, you can't live without me."

Lucifer doesn't respond immediately, looking away. "... You're right, I can't... But you can't keep doing this, killing humans."

"Aw, fine," Nyx pouts. "I won't, for you, Luci. But it gets so boring when you're at work."

Lucifer hums, thinking. "Well, you could always come with me, see if there's anything you could help out with... Actually, how did you find all those serial killers so quickly?"

Nyx tilts his head. "I looked through the case files and went talk to who I thought seemed guilty, or just the cases' lead suspect."

"And how'd you get access to the case files?"

"A friend in a high place with the LAPD," Nyx replies with a smile. "He had access to them and let me take a peek."

"Someone with the LAPD knows it's you who's been killing those people?"

"Mhmm."

"Well then we'll need to have a chat with him tomorrow."

Lucifer turns, Nyx following him to the bedroom. The devil sits on the edge, the draxon choosing to shift into his dragon form and lie on the floor next to the bed, his head across Lucifer's lap.

"You know there'll be a problem if anyone finds you like this, right?" Lucifer says, fondly stroking the draxon's head.

*Nothing I can't solve quickly,* Nyx replies, purring happily at the devil's touch. *I happen to specialize in memory alteration.*

"So you do realize there are other ways to solve problems that don't involve murder."

*I can be nice,* Nyx whines. *Now cuddle me, Luci. Love me.*

"Lucifer, Nyxeus," Chloe says, seeing the pair walking down the stairs together.

"Detective," Lucifer greets. "Nyx and I need to have a quick chat with the lieutenant then I'll be right with you."

"Alright..." Chloe drifts off, confused as she watches the two disappear into Pierce's office.

Pierce looks up from his work, surprised. "Nyxeus. Lucifer."

"Hello, Lieutenant," Lucifer says, taking a seat across from Pierce's desk.

"What do you two want? I'm busy," Pierce says, raising an eyebrow.

"Aw, don't be mean, Marcus," Nyx says with a pout.

"A little birdie told me you've been lending police files to my dear draxon here," Lucifer says.

How'd he find out? Pierce thinks, knowing Nyx will be reading his mind.

A speck of blood on my neck, Nyx replies.

"What of it, Lucifer?" Pierce asks, remaining calm. "He's done a good job and got rid of uncaught killers in Los Angeles since my detectives are usually busy."

"And you knew he's been killing them?"

"Are you telling me they don't deserve it?"

"No, but you'll just keep getting new murder cases as a result."

Pierce pauses, glancing to Nyx before looking back to Lucifer. "So what do you suggest?"

"Well, I don't mind him catching killers, but I'd prefer it if he didn't kill them."

"I can bring them in instead," Nyx says.

"That could work," Pierce says. "I think I'll assign Espinoza to work with you on it. If it's just you bringing in as many killers in such a short time as you have, it might get suspicious."

"What, Daniel?" Lucifer says.

"Don't protest, Luci, I don't mind," Nyx says.

Lucifer scoffs but remains silent.

"That's settled then," Pierce says. "Nyx, new case for you start on with Espinoza. Now both of you get out."

Nyx taking the files held out for him, the two leave the office, sharing a quick kiss goodbye before Lucifer goes to find Chloe and Nyx walks over to Dan.

"Nyxeus," the detective says, seeing him approach.

"Call me Nyx."

Dan smiles lightly. "Alright. Nyx. I saw Lucifer went home early yesterday; you two spend the night together?"

"We did," Nyx says. "It was nice, though we did have an argument shortly after he came home. It led to what I need to talk to you about."

Dan turns his chair to face the draxon. "Alright, shoot."

"Pierce has partnered us together to work on the unsolved homicide cases," Nyx says.

"You're getting into police work like Lucifer?"

"Well, I thought it would be a good way to stay busy while Luci's at work."

Dan nods, "fair enough. Well, at least you're not as... Lucifer... as Lucifer."

"I don't think anyone can Lucifer as well as my dear devil," Nyx says.

Dan chuckles and nods. "So, where do we start?"