13. Friends & Apologies

"Lucifer, he seems like a great guy, but are you sure he's... safe?" Chloe asks as she looks through the case evidence.

"Safe?" Lucifer repeats, watching Nyx talk with Dan from his position at the window of the forensic lab. "What do you mean by 'safe?'"

"Safe, good... not a gold digger, that kind of thing," Chloe replies.

"Nyxeus? I can assure you, Detective, that if Nyx wanted cash, he could easily get it from anywhere."

"That's something else I wanted to talk about," Chloe says. "Ever since you introduced him, there've been a lot of murder cases that all look like a suicide and I... Are you sure he's not a killer?"

"Well, he's killer in bed," Lucifer says, carefully dodging the question. "And on the couch... in the shower... and dozens of other places."

"I didn't ask about your sex life," Chloe replies, disgusted and turning back to the case. "I'll trust you, just... maybe keep an eye on him?"

"Got it."

Outside, Dan finds himself feeling bad for the draxon as their conversation progresses to a more intimate level.

"He's just not giving me as much of his attention," Nyx says. "And I understand, work can take a lot of time, especially this line of it—and don't get me wrong, he loves me and I love him—I just didn't think so much of his time would be taken. Every call he gets, he drops everything and goes."

"I can't say I know the feeling," Dan replies. "But I was once doing what Lucifer is; focusing so much on work that you forget about those you care about."

"With Chloe?" Nyx asks. When Dan looks at him questioningly, Nyx adds, "Lucifer let slip you were once married."

"Guy can't keep his mouth shut," Dan grumbles. "How do you deal with him?"

"A lot of patience and the ability to put him in his place when needed," Nyx says with a light chuckle. "See, we were together many years ago, before his father kicked him out. He was... different. Not much different, but different. I've had a lot of time to learn how to deal with him. I also have a lot of blackmail on him that I'm sure he doesn't want getting around."

Dan grins, laughing a bit. "Really? Blackmail on Lucifer? I didn't really think he kept anything private."

"Oh he's very open, yes, but there are some things that would make his face as red as his devil one," Nyx says, Dan not bothering to question what he means. "Like for instance, the things he's done when drunk."

"Don't you dare," Lucifer says, he and Chloe walking up.

Nyx waves and smiles. "Wouldn't dream of it, love."

"Like I'll believe that," Lucifer says, rolling his eyes. "Ready to leave?"

Nyx brightens and nods, Dan noticing just how happy the draxon is at the thought of getting time with the devil. "It was nice talking to you, Dan. Thanks for the company."

Dan nods then catches Nyx's arm as he goes to walk away. "Hey, I can talk to Chloe if you want me to. Let her know about the whole time-management thing and see if she can help."

"You would do that for me?" Nyx asks hopefully.

"Sure man. I'm not Lucifer's biggest fan, but I don't want him to make the same mistake I made. Plus I like you, you seem like a great guy."

"Aw, thanks," Nyx says. "You seem great too."

"Nyxeus," Lucifer calls impatiently.

Nyx gives Dan a thankful smile before hurrying after the devil.