58. Demons & Dragons

"Oh hey, you again!"

"Are you going to do this every time?"

Nyx stops, thinking. "Maybe... I like you and I tend to get excited when I see people I like."

"I've noticed," Pete replies, rolling his eyes. "That Ella girl, she's nice, huh?"

"Oh yes, really nice. And sweet. Wait, does that make it sound like I've tried eating her? I haven't, humans seem too fatty for my taste. You're going to try and use her for information, aren't you?"

Pete nods, "That's the plan, yes."

"Well, then let me warn you now." Nyx steps closer, his eyes growing cold, "I like you, Pete, but if you hurt Ella in any way, I will be sure to torture you in the most painful way possible, do you understand?"

The man nods quickly. "Understand, yes, I understand. I uh, I'm gonna go start my report..."

Nyx brightens again and smiles. "Okay. Good luck!"

Pete watches as he bounds away, finding his way back to the devil who gives him a quick peck on the cheek before returning to his conversation with Chloe and Jed. The man shakes his head and turns away.

"Soon," Pete mumbles. "Soon."

"I uh, hope you guys don't mind but I invited someone else," Ella says, looking around the crowded space of Lux.

Chloe's brows furrow. "Who?"

Ella doesn't need to reply as La'rayel appears in front of the group. She's dressed as she usually is for the most part, white jeans and a white crop top, a short black leather jacket over that. Her long white hair is swept to one side, a lace braid circling around her head.

"I hope I'm not late," she says, sitting next to Maze. "Ella said you may need help."

Chloe nods and quickly runs over the plan. "Alright remember, we're looking for a girl with a hearing aid."

"What's a hearing aid?" La'rayel whispers to Maze.

"Little thing that goes in the ear to help deaf people," the demon whispers back.

La'rayel nods, understanding. She, Ella and Maze get up to go start looking, the dragon looking around at all the people unsurely.

"First party?" Maze asks, seeing her look. La'rayel nods, sticking close to the demon. "You'll be fine. If anyone gets too grabby, a punch in the boobs or the balls works pretty well."

"Hey, no one is going to be punching anyone," Ella says. "Just, y'know, have fun, dance, drink and look for a killer."

La'rayel nods. "Got it. Can I punch them if they don't go away? Brother said some people don't know how to take no for an answer."

"That's when you punch somebody," Maze says. "I'm gonna go talk to that girl and be emotionally available and stuff, so you go and start looking, I'll catch up."

La'rayel scowls slightly as she watches Maze walk off. "She could've talked to me..."

With a soft sigh, the white-haired woman weaves her way through the crowd, checking a few women for hearing aids before she gets fed up with the procedure. La'rayel makes her way towards the bar, her eyes scanning her section of the room. A small leer on her lips, the dragon focuses on one woman and sends out her magic.

Memories flash through La'rayel's mind and, seeing nothing of importance, she pulls back her magic and focuses on someone else.

"Well, this is gonna take a while."