41. Welcome to the Dragonlands

"The Dragonlands?" Ella repeats, looking around. "We're in the Dragonlands?"

Lucifer nods, "We are." He spreads his arms out in a grand sweeping motion, "Welcome to my home away from Earth."

"Is this even allowed?" Dan asks, wide-eyed. "Humans, alive, in a different realm?"

"Well, I don't see why not," Lucifer says with a shrug. "Heaven or Hell is another story, those realms are meant for deceased human souls, but the Dragonlands are meant for draconians. I don't recall any rules against humans coming here, they just can't get here on their own."

"Draconians?" Ella asks.

"Yes. Draconians refers to the dragons the same way celestials refers to me and my angelic brethren. Divine beings is the term for both of us."

"Why are we here anyway?" Chloe says, "And where's Nyx?"

Lucifer pauses, taking a deep breath, "He's dead. Again. As for why we came here, I'm not sure. And we will be stuck here for six months at most until Nyx comes back..."

"What?" the three humans gasp.

"Stuck here?" Dan says, "For six months?"

"Indeed," Lucifer replies, "As far as I know, the gates close and lock when Nyx is dead and there's no way to open them."

"Dammit," Chloe whispers before saying louder, "What about Trixie?"

Dan pales, "Son of a bitch. Are you sure we can't get out?"

"Quite sure. The bridge to Hell will be closed too from what Jinx told me of the first time Nyx died."

"There's a bridge from here to Hell?" Ella asks, amazed.

"Yes. We built it not long after my coronation as second king here and made an alliance between the Dragonlands and Hell."

Chloe takes a deep breath, "Trixie will be fine... When people realize both Dan and I are missing, my mom or Dan's parents or even Maze will take care of her... She'll be fine..." Her words don't help to comfort her very much. Nervous and stressed, Chloe turns to the devil angrily, "Lucifer why couldn't you just take us outside the house or to Lux or something? Why here of all places when you knew Nyx was dying and we'd be stuck here?"

Lucifer's brows shoot up in surprise. "It was Nyx's idea," he replies, irritated. "And now that I think about it, it's the only place that really makes sense. If we appeared outside the house, people would see us. Any other place, we would have to answer how we got there when we were seen going into the basement. I'm banned from Heaven and Nyx is scared of Hell, so that really only left the Dragonlands. It was also probably the first place Nyx thought of."

Chloe nods, her eyes closing as she massages her temples. "Right, right. I'm sorry for snapping but this... this is crazy. Is there any way we can communicate with anyone outside the realm though?"

"I... Yes, actually," Lucifer says, his eyes widening. "The Watch Tower. The wards locking it will be down so we can get in. The quickest way in is to fly, but there is a set of stairs... Show me the way to the Watch Tower."

At Lucifer's feet, an orange light appears in the floor as if below the shiny black surface. The light pulses once then races down the hall, leaving an orange path in its wake.

Lucifer smiles, starting after the light, "Shall we?"

Confused and amazed, the three humans follow after the devil.

"Lucifer," Ella says, "How does that work?"

"Hmm? Oh, right. Well, it's a bit of magic to ensure no one gets lost in the maze of hallways. Nyx set it up after I kept getting lost whenever I came to visit in our early days. He's kept it since it's pretty useful too and it can lead you to someone in the palace too."