37. What a Nightmare

Nyx's eyes snap open. His breathing is heavy, his body tense. Memories flash through his mind, bringing tears to his eyes.

Taking a shuddering breath, Nyx squeezes his eyes closed, trying to relax.

"No waking Luci... No waking Luci... But I promised..."

The draxon sighs softly, gently nudging the devil awake.

Lucifer yawns, stretching a bit. "Is it morning already?"

"Not quite, Luci," Nyx whispers.

Lucifer groans tiredly before he seems to realize why he was woken. "You had another nightmare?" Nyx nods silently, his teary eyes meeting Lucifer's. The devil frowns, gently wiping away the draxon's tears, "What of?"

"The whole Hell thing again," Nyx whispers.

Lucifer winces, looking away for a second before he pushes away the guilt and focuses on his lover. "It's never happening again, Love. You don't need to fear Hell."

"But I still do, Luci," Nyx replies quietly. "I know that if it does happen again, I'll see the people I killed... And I really will lose you."

Lucifer looks down, cupping his love's cheek, "Nyxeus, you will never lose me." Nyx doesn't reply. Instead, he presses his ear against Lucifer's chest, listening to the devil's heartbeat. Lucifer hums softly, "Do you remember when Dad demanded you give me up when he discovered we're together?"

Nyx looks up, nodding, "Of course."

"Do you remember when Michael nearly killed me after my rebellion?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember when we had that bad fight and spent months apart?"

"I do."

"Did you lose me?"

"... No."

"No," Lucifer repeats. "You will never lose me, Nyxeus. Not forever. We may argue and fight, but that's normal. At least Linda assures me it is. Nothing you could do can drive me away."

"But..."

"No, Nyxeus, not even the killing. I don't like it, but I love you. I've moved past the killing, forgiven you for it."

"Forgiven?" Nyx asks, his voice sounding so innocently unsure that Lucifer smiles softly.

"Yes, Nyx, forgiven."

"You... forgive me?"

"I do."

"Forgive... me?"

"I do, Nyxeus. I forgive you for killing those people."

Nyx blinks, his eyes meeting Lucifer's. Lucifer smiles, thumb stroking the draxon's cheek. The devil yawns, blinking tiredly.

"Why don't we try something, see if it helps you sleep better, hmm?" Lucifer says.

He rolls them over so Nyx's head is on the pillow and Lucifer is on top, his head on Nyx's chest. Nyx's arms wrap around the devil, a content moan escaping Lucifer's lips. Lucifer's weight on him helps the draxon relax. A soft sigh escapes him as his eyes fall closed.

Soon enough, both the devil and draxon are asleep again.

"So Nyx's power is back."

"Since when?"

"He says he noticed this morning, but that it might've been after Lucifer comforted him after a nightmare last night."