18. Apologies

Nyx lands on the balcony of the penthouse, stepping further in and looking around.

"Luci?" he calls.

Not seeing the devil anywhere, he looks in the bedroom and the rest of the penthouse before returning to the living room with a frown. Finally, he decides to peek through Lucifer's eyes to get a hint at where the devil may be. He sees Lux's bar, the room empty.

The draxon turns to the elevator, heading down. Humming to himself as the doors slide open, he steps out and looks down to see Lucifer sitting at the bar and Pierce's body on the floor, a knife in his chest.

"Ooo, what's happening here?" Nyx asks as he walks down the steps, a curious, slightly excited look in his eye.

Lucifer turns. "Nyxeus," he says, relieved. "You're back."

"I am, love," Nyx replies. "And I want to talk to you after whatever this is is done."

Lucifer's brow furrows, nervousness springing up inside him, only to fade instantly as Nyx's lips cover his gently and passionately, the love poured into it telling the devil it couldn't possibly be bad news awaiting him.

A pained groan interrupts them, drawing their attention to where Pierce is awake on the floor, pushing himself to hit feet and pulling the knife out. He staggers over to the bar, setting the knife down.

"You may as well pour me one as well," he says, panting. "Nyxeus, when did you get here?"

"Just now," the draxon replies as the devil gets up to grab another glass. "Now tell me, what did I miss?"

"Well, not too much," Lucifer says. "Found that Sinnerman fellow, got locked in a room that even I couldn't escape from, captured said Sinnerman, played his game and watched as Cain here riddled him with bullets."

Nyx glances to Pierce, who shrugs and says, "That's basically how it happened."

You won't need to find my right-hand man after all, Pierce thinks, sensing the draxon in his mind.

"How many days has it been?" Nyx asks, a slight growl in his voice at the thought of someone trapped his devil.

"Two," Lucifer replies, taking a sip from his drink. "How's dear old dad?"

"Quite well, but that can wait."

"Oh, can it?" Lucifer says challengingly, raising an eyebrow. "You get to disappear to the Silver City without telling me beforehand and 'that can wait?'"

"It slipped my mind. Say, what'dyou think believers would think if they heard the devil's lover, the mad, murderous me, was in Heaven?"

Pierce rolls his eyes, muttering, "Biggest power couple since God and his wife."

Hearing him, Nyx smirks. "We are. Luci's the scary face, but I am the one that should be feared. Unlike my ever-so-dear devil, I don't seem to have many morals or limits."

Lucifer and Pierce both glance to each other, silently agreeing with the King. The two continue talking, ignoring the draxon who has taken to playing with the knife previously embedded in Pierce's chest.

"Ah, down boy," Lucifer says, giving the draxon a stern look when he growls, hearing how Pierce had the devil dumped in the desert. "I neglected to mention that little detail to you, didn't I." Despite it being a statement, Nyx nods, scowling. Lucifer rolls his eyes, "In the past, Nyxeus. And you neglected to tell me about Cain here."

Nyx grumbles, "It didn't seem important yet. And he said not to tell."

The draxon returns to playing with the knife, tossing it up and catching it.

"You know, for an immortal you sure do bleed a lot, don't you," Lucifer says, handing Pierce more napkins and walking around the bar.

"I'm still human," Pierce replies, "I still feel all the pain that comes with death. Just the wounds heal."

"Oh, sounds like a bitch."

"I don't have to tell you what sort of sick sense of humour your father has."

"I think it's great," Nyx interjects. "It means that if you piss me off, I get to toy with you much more than others. Oops."

Pierce grimaces at the words while the draxon looks down where blood is starting to fall from a cut on his forearm from dropping the knife. Lucifer sighs as Nyx giggles.

"I forgot how much fun pain can be," he says. "Oh it makes me feel more alive. I don't know how you live without the risk, Luci, it seems like it would be ever so dull."

"Nyxeus, insanity," Lucifer says, making the draxon tilt his head thoughtfully.

"Yes, I suppose that's showing a bit, isn't it?" he muses.

Lucifer sighs again, "Nyxeus, go back upstairs and lie down or something. I'll be up shortly, once we're finished here."

"But Luci," Nyx whines.

"No buts. Upstairs, now."

Pouting, Nyx disappears upstairs. Stepping out of the elevator and looking around, he sits at the piano, curiously poking one of the keys. His eyes light up childishly at the note that plays loudly and he pokes another key, and another and another. Tilting his head at the sleek black surface of the piano, he furrows his brows, trying to figure out how the sounds are being made.

"What are you doing?" Lucifer asks, raising an eyebrow as he steps out of the elevator and spots the draxon at the piano.

"Trying to figure out how this works."

Lucifer sits next to him, playing a soft tune on the piano, Nyx watching him curiously. As the song goes on, the draxon's eyes light up suddenly as he gets an idea. His wings come out, Lucifer pausing for a second before he continues. A gentle hum joins the sound of the piano, blending with the sound to create a lulling harmony.

Still playing, Lucifer glances at the draxon, seeing his eyes closed, a smile on his lips. Lucifer looks at the draxon's wings, remembering how he could vibrate the membrane between the 'fingers' to create different pitched hums and harmonies.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" Lucifer asks softly as he stops playing.

Nyx's eyes open and he looks to the devil. "I wanted to say I'm sorry, for snapping at you like I did. I just... I failed."

"Failed?" Lucifer repeats.

Nyx smiles dryly. "In protecting Alec. He trusted me to, and I failed. My first prayer and I blow it."

Lucifer chuckles softly, "Well, who knows? It may have been the first of many." When Nyx doesn't look any better, he sighs, "Nyxeus, one thing you'll need to learn here on Earth is that you can't save everyone. Try as you may, not even one as powerful as you can change fate, or Dad's grand scheme or whatever."

A small smile appears on Nyx's lips. "Yeah, I guess you're right..."

"Of course I am."

The draxon's smile grows, intertwining his fingers with the devil's. "Oh, of course."

"Are you mocking me?" Lucifer asks playfully, raising an eyebrow.

Nyx grins, "And if I am?"

"Then I may decide to punish you."

"Hmm, are you sure you won't simply do it anyway? I know you're still annoyed by my little trip to Heaven."

Lucifer smiles wickedly, "Well, now that you mention it... Humour me, love, and tell me, what do you desire?"

Meeting Lucifer's eyes, Nyx lets the devil's power wash over him, a dazed smile coming to his face as he whispers, "I want you."

A wide smirk crosses Lucifer's lips. "That, my dear draxon, can be arranged."