23. Behind Backs

Nyx stands in a secluded alley, a wide smirk on his lips despite the multiple guns pointed at him.

"Now gentlemen, surely we can talk through this," he says.

"Turn around and fuck off," one of the men replies lowly.

"Oh I can't do that," Nyx says, "See, I've come looking to speak with your boss about a little something."

The men look to each other, hesitating.

Nyx hums impatiently. "I'm in a bit of a hurry. See, I don't plan on letting my dear lover know I'm here. I believe you know him?"

"Him?" one of the men repeats.

"Is there a problem?" Nyx asks, a smile on his lips but his eyes darkening dangerously.

"Who is he?" another man says.

"Lucifer Morningstar."

The men look to each other again before slowly lowering their guns.

"Come on," the first man says, gesturing for the draxon to follow him.

They lead him through the back door of the club, a members-only party happening within. Music blares and lights flash. A few dancers, male and female are on platforms along the walls, some with poles, others without.

"Hmm, Lux is better," Nyx muses to himself, "Though I'm certainly biased."

"Boss," the man leading him says, "This guy says he's Morningstar's lover, wants to speak with you."

The man in the circular booth looks up slowly, a cold look on his face before he smiles, "Then please, sit down."

Gesturing to the place across from him, the man gives the two women next to him a look and they both pout and walk off. Nyx sits down, leaning back in a posture that shows he doesn't feel threatened at all. The man studies Nyx carefully, not saying anything.

"So you're Clark Taylor," Nyx says, finally breaking the silence between them, "Leader of the gang known as the Crimson Vipers?"

"That's me," the man, Clark, replies. "Do I get to know who you are?"

Nyx smiles, "Nyxeus. I have a job I would like you to do for me."

Clark's eyes narrow, "You think you can just ask me to do your work and expect me to obey?"

"Well, it's not really my work, as there's no one specific I want you to kill."

"Kill?" Clark repeats, eyebrows shooting up. "You want me to kill someone?"

"Not you specifically, just someone from your gang. But yes, I want someone killed, in a brutal way."

"Is that 'brutal way' specific?"

"No, but I have some ideas."

Clark leans forward a bit, studying the man before him. "Why? Why come to me, and why do you want someone dead?"

"Of the gangs my dear devil knows, you were the easiest to find. As for why I want a murder, well... I like having blood being spilt. And I can't keep doing it myself or my dear Luci will get suspicious."

"So you want us to just randomly kill for you?"

"That's what it seems like, yes."

Clark scoffs, "You're crazy if you honestly believe me or my boys would do that. They answer to me, and I answer to no one."

"Well, you do now," Nyx replies, a smirk appearing on his lips as his eyes flash.

His magic invades the man's mind, altering his emotions and his opinions. Satisfied with the changes, Nyx pulls his magic back.