46. The Returning

"This is gonna be huge, isn't it," Dan states, watching preparations for the grand party in a few nights.

Teiterin nods, "The three moons of our realm are all full only one night in seven years. The party thrown on the brightest night is the biggest we have." She scowls a bit, "We were hoping this time Nyx would be here, but there's not much longer before it passes."

"It's also said the creator is closest on the brightest night," Lucifer says. "That the ghosts of the ancestors are able to walk among us for this night alone. It's kind of like halloween, except not so spooky. And there's the friendly competition that takes place for fun and entertainment."

"Here are the baskets," Ella says, her and Chloe walking over, both carrying stacks of woven baskets. Ella sets her stack down, a grin on her lips, "This is gonna be so exciting! Totally gonna be the best party I've ever been to! Oh, sorry Lucifer, Lux's are great too."

"They're nothing compared to this," Lucifer says with a grin of his own. "Loud music, good food and great alcohol."

"I can't wait to see you actually drunk," Dan says, giving the devil a wide smirk. "Nyx says it's hilarious."

Teiterin snickers, Lucifer's glare at her only causing her to snicker more. "It depends what kind of mood he's in," she says, "Sometimes it's the funny drunk, other times it's the I'm-not-drunk drunk, the pathetic drunk or even the angry drunk."

Lucifer's glare strengthens, a scowl on his lips. "You can't even stay in the air when you get tossing them back."

It's the dragon's turn to scowl. She opens her mouth to reply, only to tense. The feeling of a weight lifting off one's shoulders is felt by everyone, the weight having not previously been felt at all.

"What was—"

Chloe cuts herself off, seeing Lucifer's wide eyes.

"That was the gates opening," Teiterin whispers.

Dan's eyes widen, "Then that means—"

A loud crash interrupts him. The group turns towards the palace to see a black and orange blur diving towards them after having barrelled through the throne room balcony's glass doors. Nyx throws his wings out to slow his dive just a millisecond before he collides with Lucifer so the action doesn't do much and both of them go rolling across the grass.

*Luci!* Nyx says excitedly. *LuciLuciLuciLuciLuci!*

The draxon, acting like an overexcited puppy, is practically lying on top of the devil, his head on Lucifer's chest and his body between the devil's legs. A purr rumbles in Nyx's chest as Lucifer's arms wrap around his neck, a kiss being placed on the draxon's nose.

"Nyxeus," Lucifer breathes, using his elbows to prop himself up.

The draxon lifts his head enough to press his forehead against the devil's. The action is an incredibly intimate one. One of Lucifer's hands reaches up to rest at the back of Nyx's head, deep purrs escaping the draxon as he nuzzles the devil.

Chloe, Dan, Ella and Teiterin watch the exchange with wide smiles.

"Those two really are soulmates, huh?" Dan states, getting three nods in return.

Nyx pulls back a bit, his head tilting as he sees the tears forming in the devil's eyes, his own tears already falling down his cheeks.

I missed you, Lucifer projects to his lover, wrapping his arms around Nyx's neck as the draxon's head rests on his shoulder. I missed you so much, Nyxeus.

I missed you too, Luci, Nyx replies softly, one front leg around the devil, the other holding himself up. I love you, Luci. I love you.