44. Hearing Things

"Y'know, dragons look pretty similar to dinosaurs," Ella says.

"Well, that's a given since Nyx is the one who created them," Lucifer comments offhandedly.

"He what?!" Dan yelps in surprise.

Lucifer looks up from his breakfast, the group currently enjoying the meal in the smaller dining room meant for familiar guests, not formal parties or anything.

The room is lit by the flickering firelight of torches hung on the walls around the room, as well as the morning sunlight shining through the window. The oval-shaped table in the center of the room is low to the ground with large cushions surrounding it.

Lucifer and Ella both lie on their stomachs, propped up on their elbows. Dan and Chloe are cross-legged, occasionally leaning their elbows on the table or on their knee. Teiterin is there as well, the dragon still amusingly half-asleep and curled up on another cushion.

"Hmm?" the devil says before it seems to click the three humans weren't aware of that little fact. "Oh, right. Nyxeus and my dad have an agreement that they'll alternate creations on Earth. Each turn ends when something inexplicably causes the creation to go extinct. Nyx's last one was the dinosaurs. He had fun with them too, so did the rest of the divines. Then that asteroid hit and it was Dad's turn. He created humanity."

The room falls silent as the new information is processed. Lucifer's mind turns to his dream and it's meaning. Early in the morning, he'd gone down to the dungeons and found that a door was open in the wall at the end of the hallway, the same as in the devil's dream.

The room had been mostly empty, and a little dusty. There was a section in the center of the room with less dust than the rest of the room, a space roughly the size of a dragon. Talonprints in the dust also support the devil's theory that the draxon had hidden his sister's body in the room. Why, Lucifer wasn't sure.

The rest of breakfast passes fairly quickly, Ella making the occasional comment about the cozy comfort of the robes she's decided to try wearing and Lucifer agreeing with her, the devil wearing robes of his own.

"Well," Lucifer says once breakfast is cleaned up, "Teiterin and I have to quick make the rounds around the realm, make sure everything is running smoothly. Shouldn't take long at all. I was thinking you could explore a bit while we're gone."

"That sounds exciting!" Ella says, her eyes bright. "I really want to see some dragonets. Are they cute?"

"Much cuter than human children in my opinion," Lucifer replies. "Just be warned, they don't always have the best control over their fire breathing, so the occasional, accidental burst of flame does happen."

Teiterin snickers, "You learnt that after getting set on fire."

The devil scowls but doesn't deny it. Amused smiles work their way onto the lips of the watching three.

"Come on," Lucifer grumbles, "We'll go through the throne room, it's the fastest way to the entrance hall."

The purple dragon flies ahead as the group walks through the halls. A quiet hum echoes through the halls, so quiet one may question when it's only imagined.

"That's the tune Nyx usually hums," Lucifer notes, his brows furrowing in confusion. "It's a common song here, a lullaby."

"Dance with the day, the clouds, the sun. Let warmth wash 'way your fears," Teiterin sings softly, "Dance with the night, the stars, the moon. No need to shed more tears."

"Sun and moon will protect from thee, when stars shall fall and heavens flee," Lucifer continues as they reach the throne room. "No more pain, nor hurt, nor war will reign. Let souls forever dance with moon and sun."