30. Back to Semi-Normal

Lucifer looks around the newest crime scene again. Still no sign of Chloe.

"Quite foolish, really," he says. "That one day she'd just... stroll up."

Seeing Ella looking over his shoulder, Lucifer turns.

"Hey," Chloe greets casually. "Sorry I'm late."

"Decker!" Ella says happily, going to hug her.

"Listen, I'll catch you up on everything, I promise," Chloe says as Ella starts talking a mile a minute, "But first, what's happening? Oh, and Lucifer."

Chloe gestures back the way she came. Looking that way, the devil's eyes widen, his body moving before his mind can catch up. Dan looks over Nyx's shoulder, Nyx turning just in time to catch the devil in his arms. Lucifer's arms wrap around Nyx's neck, head falling against the draxon's chest. Nyx's arms are around the devil's waist, supporting his lover's weight as Lucifer leans heavily against him.

"Nyxeus," Lucifer whispers.

"Hi Luci," Nyx says, one hand sinking into the devil's hair.

"You're back."

"I am. And I'm here to stay."

Dan smiles, noticing Chloe and Ella watching the couple as well. Lucifer shows no sign that he's going to release the draxon any time soon, and he won't. Having his lover close again after four months helps sooth the depression and anxiety that had taken hold of the devil.

"It's good to have you back, man," Dan says.

"It's good to be back," Nyx replies, returning the man's smile over Lucifer's shoulder. "... You're really alright with everything?"

"Seems like it. You can always find out if I'm not, right?"

"No, actually," Nyx replies, making both Dan and Lucifer frown. "My ability to read and manipulate minds seems to have disappeared."

"Disappeared?" Lucifer repeats, pulling his head back to look at his lover.

"I'll explain later, love. We are still at a crime scene. Speaking of."

Nyx looks around, giving cold glares at anyone looking weirdly at the pair. Dan chuckles lightly, going to help Chloe and Ella as they turn back to the body.

"We've been this way for millennia," Nyx mumbles, "If they don't like it, then don't look. Simple solution."

Lucifer smiles, claiming Nyx's lips with his. Their tongues dance the same as they have millions of times before. A loving warmth blossoms in Lucifer's chest, filling the emptiness that had resided there for the past four months.

"My beautiful devil," Nyx whispers softly when they separate. "So strong, yet so fragile."

"My darling draxon," Lucifer returns. "So loving, yet so dangerous."

"Of course. I am never losing you, Luci. Never."

The two stand together like that for a while before Lucifer remembers, "The Detective."

"Yes, I can see her talking with who I believe is the victim's wife."

"Is she alright?"

"Physically, yes. Mentally, I'm not sure. I think it might be best if you talk to her."

Lucifer sighs, not wanting to pull away.

Nyx smiles softly, giving the devil another quick kiss and saying, "You go question your partner, and I'll go question mine."

Lucifer nods, reluctantly pulling away from his lover. Nyx watches him walk away before turning to where Dan has wandered.

"Nyxeus," Dan says, seeing his partner approaching.