33. All I Have

Pieces - Rob Thomas

"What happened?" Dan asks, gesturing to the scabbed wound on the draxon's temple.

Nyx frowns before seeming to remember. "I was a play structure for a group of dragonets and one of their claws accidentally nicked me. Nothing big, but she felt really bad and I guess I completely forgot about healing it."

"You're not invulnerable?"

"No, I'm not. I just have the power to heal wounds on myself and others. Though it's limited; I can run out and need time to recharge. That's why I died earlier."

"You say it so casually," Dan says.

"Well, it's in the past," Nyx replies. "Nothing I can do about it now, so why fret over it? Now, what's bothering you?"

Dan sighs, "Just this case. They were trying to turn their lives around and they got murdered. It just reminds me of... of Charlotte."

"You truly care for her, don't you," Nyx states.

"I do," Dan agrees. His brows furrow, "You say that in present tense."

It's Nyx's turn to look confused. "Just because she isn't here doesn't mean you stop caring. Why would I refer to your emotions as a thing of the past when they continue to live?"

Dan tilts his head a bit at the draxon's odd wording, but he smiles slightly. Most people always talk about Charlotte in past-tense and he hates it. It always reminds him she's gone and... does he want to know where she is?

"She's in heaven, Dan," Nyx says. When Dan gives him a look, the draxon shrugs, "I can't read minds at the moment, but I can still read people's expressions and body language. She's in heaven, and I have no doubt she's watching you torment yourself."

The detective lets out a shaky breath. "I..."

Nyx gives him a soft smile, "You don't need to explain yourself to me unless you want to. I know the feeling of losing someone you love."

"Lucifer?"

"Yes... I lost him, and he lost me." Nyx falls silent, a sad look coming to his eyes, only to be replaced by a curious one, "What's Maze doing with Trixie?"

Dan turns around, seeing the two in the interrogation room. He walks over, Nyx getting distracted by a man walking down the precinct steps.

"What are you doing here?" Nyx asks, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms.

"I'm bored!" Jinx whines, throwing his arms around Nyx's neck and hanging off him. "Hunting the demons was fun and then toying with Cain kept me busy, but now I'm bored!"

Nyx rolls his eyes, a wry, amused smile on his lips, "How ever did you survive all these centuries?"

"The knight period of humanity was incredibly enjoyable but the rest, I don't know. I decided to see what you're doing and if there's any entertainment I can find here."

"You need to find yourself a mate or something," Nyx says.

"I've never felt the need for a mate," Jinx replies with a shrug as the two walk over to join Dan and Maze, Trixie having left. "Besides, I have you."

Nyx rolls his eyes again but doesn't reply.

"Because we gotta wait for a judge to give us a stupid warrant," Dan finishes.

"Says who?" Maze replies.

"Now that sounds entertaining," Jinx says, a grin spreading across his lips. "Mazikeen, my favourite demon sparring partner."