34. New to Earth

*This can't continue,* Vortex growls.

*You think I don't know that?* Nyx returns, his tail thrashing in anger.

*They're planning something,* Qietiye says, watching the King pace. *Attacking almost every three days, they've got to be trying to accomplish something.*

*I know,* Nyx hisses. He shakes his head, *Sunlight Meadow isn't safe for the dragonets. Tell everyone to stay away from it, and have a few of my guards stationed there in case the demons try attacking there again.*

*Got it,* Qietiye replies.

*Actually, Qietiye,* Nyx says before the green dragon can fly off. *Once I leave, take Vortex with you and close the gates for a few days instead. Everyone could use the rest and reassurance that they'll be safe. Jinx, you'll be coming with me; I think one or two of the demons has gone off to Earth and if that's true, we can try to figure out what they're doing.*

The three dragons nod, understanding.

*I'm sure we'll all enjoy the peace,* Vortex says.

*Me too,* Jinx agrees.

Nyx nods. *Let's go, Jinx, before the demons can go too far.*

The golden dragon follows the black and orange one, taking off and flying back to Earth. The two land on an empty beach, Nyx shifting in his human form and Jinx into his usual form of a human male.

"Damn demons," Nyx grumbles. "Always causing trouble... I wonder what Luci's doing."

"Uh, Nyx?" Jinx says, his voice unsure.

Nyx turns to where Jinx is. His eyes widen, seeing the terrier-sized young scarlet dragonet on the sand a short ways away. Her eyes are wide, head swivelling around while her wings are fluttering widely, tail swishing in the sand.

Nyx walks over to her, crouching down, *What are you doing here, little one?*

*Lost!* the dragonet yowls in a panicked distress. *I lost! And I see King and follow! And Mama say not to go to human world and I do anyway 'cause I lost and now I lost King!* With a small, dejected howl, she plops down on the sand, head low. A soft smile on his lips, Nyx lets his eyes flare orange. The dragonet perks up, her head tilting, *King?*

*Yes, Dear, I'm the King,* Nyx says, picking her up and standing up again. *Dear, you should have stayed at home in the Dragonlands. What's your name, how old are you?*

*Staris!* the dragonet replies. *I ten!*

*Much too young to wander,* Nyx tuts, ten in dragon years being about the same as three in human years.

*She's a Blaze dragon,* Jinx notes, looking at the softly glowing markings along the dragonet's wings.

Nyx nods, *She is. A dragon from the fire element, not the best around here.*

See, there are many kinds of dragon. They fall into the elemental categories of earth, fire, water, air, ice, dark and light. Within those categories are many species of dragons of all shapes and sizes. The dragons of Nyx's guard, like Jinx, Vortex and Qietiye, don't belong to a dragon species, they're unique. Now, Blaze dragons belong to the fire element and thus, are quite fond of flames and heat, something that can easily be found in the Dragonlands. On Earth... not as much.

*What do we do?* Jinx asks. *The gates are already closed and I doubt anyone's watching them.*

*She'll have to stay on Earth for a few days,* Nyx replies as Staris shifts a bit in his grasp. *I'll release the wards on the Watch Tower so someone can find where she is.*