9. Betrayal

Lucifer's eyes open slowly. He blinks a few times, groaning softly as he shifts. Rolling over, he finds Nyx still asleep, his head almost completely under the blankets as seems to be his new habit.

The devil smiles, bringing his hand up to gently run through his lover's hair. Around a minute or so later, a low purr starts emanating from the now-half-awake draxon.

"Why do you insist on hiding under the covers now?" Lucifer asks softly.

*'s comfy,* Nyx mumbles, cuddling closer to the devil. *Morning, love.*

"Good morning," Lucifer replies. "And why dragontongue?"

*Don't criticize my language,* Nyx says with a yawn. *Less jaw movement as I'm tired and it's my first language.*

"Fair points," the devil says.

Nyx yawns again, a soft, content moan passing his lips as he presses himself closer against his lover, Lucifer's fingers still combing through the draxon's hair.

"Now what?" Lucifer asks softly. "We're both probably being hunted by police and they know where I live. Speaking of which, we should probably collect some of my personal valuables from the penthouse soon.

*We can track down those two demons,* Nyx suggests. *Or I was thinking we could travel around the world. I'd very much like to see everything for myself, though that might have to wait until after the demons are all disposed of.*

"Probably a good idea," Lucifer replies.

*Luci?*

"Hmm?"

*I think I could erase everyone's memory once we're done,* Nyx says, lifting the covers enough for the devil to see his face. *All recollection and document of the demons and of me. You could work with the LAPD again.*

"But what about you?"

*I could be your new lover or old lover who you've reconnected with,* Nyx replies. *We could stay in your penthouse, though I would still need to take care of my dragons. We could be together and not be on the run.*

"That sounds amazing," Lucifer says softly. "... I did see the detective in a romantic light once. But she's nothing compared to you, Nyxeus. She's a close friend... a sister."

Nyx smiles, stretching before moving up on the bed and out from under the covers. *She seems like a great person. Now, I'll make my rounds through the realm then I believe we'll have some time together before we need to go after the demons.*

*What happened, Luci?* Nyx says lowly, eyes narrowed as he walks into the sitting room where a drunk devil is lying on the couch, eyes teary.

"Nyxie," Lucifer whispers, reaching for the dragon. "You came back."

*Wha... Of course I did, my love,* Nyx replies, annoyance melting away as he curls around the upset devil and lies down, Lucifer's hands running over the draxon's scales. *Now, tell me how this happened.*

"I don't know," the devil mumbles. "Why do you stay with me?'

Nyx blinks, taken aback. *Because I love you, Lucifer. More than anything.*

"Really?"

*Yes, Luci.*

"Even after what I did?"

*Yes. What you did to me hurt, it still does, but I won't stop loving you.*

"Promise?"

*I promise.*

Lucifer smiles, curling up against the dragon. As the devil closes his eyes, Nyx slips into his mind, looking through his memories.

The draxon sighs fondly, whispering. *So you got into the fireball ale. And somehow forgot you can't tolerate it like human alcohol... I guess demon hunting will have to wait until tomorrow.*

Gently nudging the sleeping devil into a more comfortable position, Nyx uses his magic to summon some of the books from the nearby shelves into a small pile next to him. Taking one of the books, Nyx breathes a small plume of fire into the nearby fireplace before starting to read.

Lucifer groans as he stirs, a pounding in his head. He blinks slowly, realizing he's lying next to his lover's dragon form, Nyx's wing covering him.

Nyx shifts his wing as the devil tries to sit up.

*Careful love,* the dragon says, closing the book he had been focused on. *You drank quite a lot.*

"What time is it?" Lucifer asks, accepting the glass of water Nyx offers him.

*Around late evening.*

Lucifer grimaces and sighs. "I'm sorry, Nyx. I didn't mean to get drunk."

*It's alright, Luci,* Nyx replies, gently nuzzling the devil. Using his magic, he gets rid of the pain in Lucifer's head, getting a grateful smile in return. *It led me to see that you still blame yourself for my stay in hell.*

"How could I not?" Lucifer says.

*Did you make those demons come up with their plan? Were you aware of the plan? Did you willingly fall for their trick?*

"No, but I didn't listen to you and I should have," Lucifer whispers.

*There's nothing you can do about it now, Luci, so stop blaming yourself,* Nyx says. *There's a reason I'm going after the demons and not you.*

Lucifer smiles ruefully before noting, "you know, you've been a lot calmer here than on Earth."

Nyx tilts his head. *I guess so. I feel safe here. I have my home and my lover.*

"Maybe there are certain triggers you have," Lucifer says. "Like, things that get you into that insane sort of mood."

*Maybe,* Nyx muses. His expression suddenly hardens, eyes flashing. *Like, for instance, a mind monitor I have telling me I'm being betrayed.*

"Are you sure?" the demon asks.

"Yes I'm sure," the ruby-eyed man snaps. "He's not invulnerable, he can still be injured. He can heal anything almost instantly with enough power though."

"So we just need to exhaust his power levels first," the demon says.

"Exactly. Then we set it off and if we do it right, he should die."

"What happens to him if he dies? Angels go to heaven or hell, do they not?"

Jinx nods. "But Nyx, I'm not sure. No one's ever killed a god... I'm quite sure I would return to the Dragonlands in a state of unconsciousness where my magic would build up to eventually resurrect me though. Hmm, that's a good question though, dear."

The demon tenses instantly, backing up. "Nyxeus."

"Yes dear," the possessed dragon says. He pauses before saying, "yes Jinx, I placed a monitor in your mind. See, you seemed to be up to something, and you can never be too careful. That hurts, you know. I trusted you and yet you show me why I have a hard time trusting others. Ah, stay where you are, dear."

The demon, who had been trying to run, is stopped by a blast of flame from the dragon.

"Now, I must applaud you for the plan," Nyx says, walking over to the demon on the ground. "I might've fallen for it. Unfortunately, you won't be able to see if it works. Now, I've been itching to play with one of you down here in the Dragonlands, where I have complete free reign and no time limit."

Nyx makes Jinx shift into his dragon form, grabbing the demon, a low chuckle escaping his lips. *Come to me, traitors. Come and face your chosen fate.*