17. The Silver City

Still angry, Nyx lands at the gates of heaven, waiting for the angels to open them since he's not allowed entry without permission. While he waits, he uses his magic to change his clothing to a set of his gold-trimmed black robes to match the clothing in Heaven.

"Nyxeus," Remiel says, she and Azrael opening the gates. "You're early."

"Don't pretend like you don't enjoy my company, my dear sister-in-law," Nyx replies, some of his anger melting away at the sight of his old friend. "I know you greatly enjoyed the rare hunts we used to go on."

"I did," Remiel agrees. "But that was also centuries ago."

"So it was..."

The two angels close the gates and walk alongside the draxon towards God's home, where he always held his meetings with the draxon.

Azrael tilts her head at Nyx. "You're tense, angry."

"I am," Nyx says shortly.

"Why?" Azrael asks.

The draxon sighs. "Just an argument with Luci."

"About what?"

"A human boy."

"I thought Lucifer preferred women to lie with him?" Remiel says in confusion.

"Remmy!" Azrael yelps, caught off guard. "He meant a young human boy."

"Oh. Then what is there to argue about, Nyxeus?"

Nyx explains what happened to the sisters as they walk.

"It sounds like you overreacted a bit," Azrael says.

"I realize that now," Nyx replies with a sigh, running his hand through his hair.

"But Lucifer is right," Remiel says, "Why do you care so much about the human boy?"

"Nyxeus."

The trio look to where God stands in front of his home, arms crossed.

"We'll find you after," Azrael says, her and Remiel taking their leave as Nyx nods.

The draxon follows God inside, his expression becoming blank as he's shown to the living room as usual. Just like centuries earlier, the place is beautiful. A bookshelf lines two walls, crowded with books, some of which look incredibly old while others look new. White marble pillars stand at the ends of the bookshelves, crosses engraved in the cool surface. A glass coffee table sits in the middle of the room, surrounded by white and pale blue furniture.

"You've arrived early," God notes. "Sit. Would you like some water or anything? Oh, I recently decided to try that drink humans call tea, if you would prefer that?"

"I'm alright," Nyx replies, sitting on one of the cushioned chairs. "We have a lot to catch up on now, don't we, my old... friend."

God scowls slightly at the term then sighs. "Look Nyxeus, it's been centuries. I've watched Lucifer and I... With you, he's better. And it's not just in who he surrounds himself with, he really thinks and acts differently with you around, even after all this time. So I'll forgive you for 'stealing Lucifer' as you told Cain."

Nyx smiles sweetly. "About time. Didn't you realize when Luci first yelled at you that he wasn't going to leave me just to keep you happy?"

"Deep down, I did, but I couldn't simply accept it. I'm his father."

"And? I recently encountered a father who killed his son."

"Right, Alec Reeves. He's settling here well; he also found his mother."