57. Tired Devils & Murderous Urges

"Nyxeus."

"No."

"Come on, get up."

"But Luci..."

"We're going to be late to work, love, now come on."

"But you're exhausted, Luci, I can tell. Take a day off or you'll fall asleep in the middle of the police place."

"I already told the detective we'd be there. Get up. I'm going to make myself a coffee and no, you're not having any. I don't need a repeat of last time."

"Last time?"

"Just trust me on this, Nyxeus. You don't get coffee. Now up and get dressed."

"Noooo..."

"I'll dump cold water on you if you don't get up."

The draxon yelps, his eyes snapping open. Lucifer chuckles at the glare he receives, brushing some of Nyx's hair from his face. The devil stands from his place sitting on the edge of the bed and walks away, leaving Nyx to begrudgingly get out of bed. He runs a hand lazily through his messy hair, yawning as he wanders over to the closet.

Lucifer waits in the living room, sipping at a steaming cup of coffee and playing games on his phone. Every so often, his eyelids droop and his head starts to fall only to snap back up, eyes wide open.

"Doesn't do much good, does it," the devil mumbles to himself, setting his now empty mug down. "Must wake up, can't be dozing off on the drive..."

"Are you sure you won't take the day off, Luci?" Nyx says, walking down the steps from the bedroom. "You're tired and can barely stay awake, love."

"No," Lucifer replies, standing up and tucking his phone into his jacket pocket. "Now come on, we're late enough already. The detective says this case will be interesting and I want to start trying to get back to normal."

Nyx purses his lips but follows the devil out of the penthouse. The draxon hums softly to himself as he watches the buildings go by.

"Where are we going, Luci?"

"Some alley near downtown."

"Oh... Luci?"

Lucifer doesn't reply. Nyx yelps as the car starts turning left only to veer sharply back on course as Lucifer's eyes snap open again.

"Pull over," Nyx says. "Luci, you're falling asleep again."

"I'm fine, darling. We're almost there anyway."

"Luci, pull over."

"Nyxeus, I said I'm fine. I'm... Fi..."

Lucifer's head drops again, only to snap up once more, his eyes now a gleaming sunset orange.

"Stubborn," Nyx mumbles. "Now, how to drive, how to drive... Alright, I can do this. Yes, let Luci rest."

The humming continues now from Lucifer's lips as Nyx controls him, the draxon's body relaxed but not limp in the passenger seat. They arrive at the newest crime scene to find the usual yellow tape surrounding the place, police cars all around. Nyx parks the car nearby and retracts his magic from the devil's mind.

The draxon steps out of the car and walks around to the devil's side, a small, fond smile on his lips as he picks up his lover.

"Nyxeus," Dan says, seeing the draxon walk over with the devil in his arms. "Is Lucifer alright?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes, he's just exhausted. Nearly crashed on the way here because he's too stubborn to admit he needs rest."

Nyx smiles softly, tucking Lucifer's head up against his neck. A small smile appears on Lucifer's lips though he remains asleep, his arms around Nyx's neck and his fingers fisted in the draxon's hair.