28. His Lover's Partner (pt. 1)

"Lucifer."

The devil turns. "Daniel."

"Can I talk to you real quick?"

Lucifer's brows furrow in confusion, "Alright."

Dan leads the devil a little ways away from the crime scene where they won't be overheard.

"What happened?" Dan asks. "With Chloe that day Pierce died, what happened?"

"Something you wouldn't understand, Daniel," Lucifer replies, his mind flashing back to that moment.

Dan shifts a bit, looking at the devil, "Try me."

Lucifer studies the man, hesitating before he decides to reply, figuring why not. "She saw my devil face."

Dan tilts his head. "Is it really that bad? Hold on, never mind, I don't wanna know."

"You... You believe?" Lucifer asks after a second's pause, his brows furrowing.

"I worked with Nyx."

Lucifer hums, "Fair point."

"He proved he can read minds. I guess I've known about everything for a while, I just didn't really acknowledge it."

"If you need a therapist, I know one who can help," Lucifer says.

Dan nods, "I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm alright though."

Lucifer studies the man, noting, "You want to know more."

"Hard not to," Dan says. "I just... There've been some cases bugging me, ones that Nyx was around for, and I want to know if..."

Lucifer nods, understanding. "Well, swing by Lux tonight and I'll explain everything. Well, what you want to know."

"Alright. Thanks, Lucifer."

With that, the man turns and heads back towards the new body. Lucifer watches him go, curious and sort of surprised the man had taken the whole 'divine-beings-exist' thing as well as he did.

It turns out you can still surprise the devil.

Dan walks down the steps of Lux, surprised to see it's empty except for two other people.

The lights are rather dim, a soft music playing in the background. The two others are sitting in one of the booths in the middle of the room, not close together but not far apart either. On the table in front of them are six cups, two for each person. One of those two cups is empty, while the other is filled with water. A few bottles of alcohol sit in the center of the table, along with a pitcher of water.

"Ah, there you are, Daniel," Lucifer says, the first to spot the man. "I hope you don't mind, I invited Doctor Linda; I thought it might be better if there was another human here."

Dan nods as he slides into the booth, understanding, "Alright, makes sense. Linda, nice to see you again."

"Same for you," she replies with a smile. "I know it can be hard to understand the whole divine-world thing, but you do get used to it."

"So you don't constantly remind yourself that someone is probably watching you all the time?"

"Dad has better things to do than watch humans every day," Lucifer replies. "Like wrangling my siblings and maintaining the Silver City. Human-watching is a fun pastime, Nyx enjoyed it too, in the short time he was around with the first humans."

"He did?" Dan asks.

Lucifer nods. "There's a tower of his palace made specifically for watching, whether it be past, present, maybe even future. He calls it the Watch Tower, quite a boring name if you ask me."