55. The Devil's Back

Thunder boomed in the dark sky. Hundreds of angels clashed, spear to spear, fist to fist. Furious shouts echoed across the battlefield, flashes of lightning illuminating the battle.

"This ends here, brother!" Raphael roared, lunging towards Samael.

Samael spun away. "I'll have to agree with you there, brother!"

Raphael lunged again, spear aimed for Samael's heart. Samael blocked the attack with his own spear and aimed a kick at Raphael's stomach. Raphael fell back, breath knocked out of him. Samael lunged forward only to be blocked by Michael.

"End this now before any more angels get hurt," the dark-winged angel ordered.

"Why should I?" Samael hissed. "So we can go back to living under Father's tyrannical rule?"

Michael pointed his spear to his brother's chest. "Then you will meet your fall, brother."

Samael's eyes narrowed and a smirk appeared on his lips. "Will I?"

At that moment, dozens of roars pierced the air, bursts of fire, ice, water and light appearing throughout the sky.

Michael whirled around, eyes wide. "What is that?"

"That, brother, is the beginning of your fall."

Samael grinned widely as hundreds of dragons dove down from having hidden in the clouds above. The scaled creatures collided with the angels, talons outstretched, eyes alight with thrill.

Samael lunged forward towards Michael, spear aiming for the other angel's chest. Michael parried the attack and threw one back. Samael spun away, barely dodging an attack from Raphael.

"How unfair, brother," Samael said with a mocking smile.

"You bring the dragons to back you up and you call us unfair?" Raphael hissed, lunging again.

"Oh please, like I could have convinced them to stay behind," Samael said, shooting up higher in the sky. "Honestly, you try telling Nyxeus to sit back and watch. The look on his face..."

Samael chuckled softly, shaking his head at the memory. He dodged another attack from Michael only to have Gabriel grab him from behind.

"I'm sorry, brother," Gabriel whispered, "But if you cut the head off a snake, the rest of the body dies with it."

Samael growled, trying to wrench himself from his brother's hold. Seeing this, Raphael flies forward to help hold the white-winged angel. Unable to fight off his brothers, Samael can do nothing as Michael plunges his spear into his stomach.

A furious roar echoed across the sky. Across the battlefield, Samael could see Nyxeus abandoning his fight against God in favour of finding his hurt lover. Michael twisted his spear and then pulled back, Gabriel and Raphael letting Samael fall.

Samael struggled to right himself as he fell, his wings flaring out but not catching the air. He watched the shapes of his brothers grow smaller above him, an angry snarl on his lips.

*Angel,* Jinx hissed as he and Hex caught Samael in their bloodied talons.

"Nyxeus," Samael said, grimacing in pain, "Where'd he go?"

*There,* Hex replies, pointing to another falling figure.

Samael's eyes narrowed as he made out the shape of his lover grappling with another angel as they both fell. Then the draxon shoved the angel back, righted himself in the air and came shooting towards Samael and the two dragons.