learning to skateboard - izzy

you were never really into skateboarding, until izzy offered to teach you a few tricks. her eyes were so wide and excited that you had to say yes. that's how you ended up in izzy's driveway, one foot on her skateboard and the other firmly on the ground. "babe, you have to put both feet on the board." izzy said with a giggle. "it's wobbly." you whined. izzy laughed and walked behind you, grabbing either side of your waist.

"i've got you. just step up." you did, thankful for her hold on you. she slowly let go, and moved to stand in front of you. "what now?" you asked, feeling completely frozen. "well, you have to relax first. you're way too tense." you rolled your shoulders back. "it's hard to not be tense on this death-mobile."

"death-mobile?" she tilted her head to the side, raising an eyebrow at you. "i think that might be a little over dramatic." "i disagree."

"baby, you really don't have to do this. it's not a big deal." but she loved skateboarding, and you wanted to be part of that. "i want to. now, show me how to do a kick flip or something." she giggled. "slow down. let's start with moving the board." it wasn't hard for her to teach you how to maneuver around her driveway. granted, you moved very slowly. you managed to go up and down the drive way without her help, and came to a shaky stop in front of her. "i did it!" you said with a wide smile. "yes you did." you stood on your tiptoes to peck her lips. "now can you show me to kick flip?"

"hmm, i don't know." she looked worried. "i don't want you to get hurt." "iz, i'll be fine. i'm so tough." you flexed your biceps as proof. "i guess i can't really argue with that stone cold evidence." "you're right." izzy spent a good ten minutes telling you what exactly to do, and then she demonstrated a few times. when you finally got ready to do it yourself, izzy stood back with her bottom lip between her teeth.

she looked nervous. you took a deep breath, tried to focus on everything she had said, and promptly fell off the board. you would have landed face first on the pavement, but izzy was quick to grab you. her arms found your waist, and you instinctively wrapped yours around her neck to steady yourself. "i knew you were going to fall." she said. "are you okay?" "i'm fine. you're rude." you tried to push away but she held you tighter.

"babyyy, are you mad at me?" "why didn't you think i could do the trick?" you pouted. "you have no faith in me." "i have so much faith in you, bub. but you're about as good at skateboarding as a baby deer would be." "that's so mean!" "it's just the truth! you're great at so many things, just not skateboarding." she pecked your lips, effectively turning your pout into a smile. "let's go to ihop. i'll get you some chocolate chip pancakes." "mmm, with extra chocolate chips?" "of course."