Chapter 1

As a small note: the beginning Leah is pretty young, it starts off slow, but as she gets older the story gets more intense. Hope you enjoy!

"Mommy," I looked up tiredly. Carl sat beside me asleep. We were sitting by the fire at camp. The world had ended, or at least that's what everyone kept saying. I peered around camp, observing all the different people we'd met off the highway. My mom was friendly with all of them, Carl played with the other kids, the only one I would hang out with is Sophia. She was two years older then me, my brothers age.

My mom looked surprised that I was even talking. Shane looked at me too. "Leah, you're awake." I nodded, I was wearing a tight long sleeve shirt and jogging pants. My mom braided my hair a few days ago and it's stayed in well so I've left it. "You hungry kid?" Shane asked. I shook my head no standing up. "Leah, you have to eat at some point." Mom said sitting down beside me. I shrugged, "I'll eat when daddy gets back." My mom sighed putting her arm around my shoulder, "daddy would want you to eat, you're young, you need food." I looked down at my feet nodding. "Okay," I finally whispered. Mom handed me a granola bar which I ate quietly then went into our tent laying down on the sleeping bag. There was nothing else I wanted to do, my dad was my best friend, I loved my mom but we weren't nearly as close. Carl was a great brother too, annoying but great. And Shane was dads best friend, he was like a second father, and he got us out of the city, kept us safe when the world ended.

A few people from camp went out on a run. Andrea and Glenn went, they were the only two I had ever really talked to before. I kept my eyes open to try and hear if anything happened to them. At some point I drifted off, only to be woken up by loud sirens coming towards us. I sat up deciding to stay in the tent in case anything happened. Then I heard Glenn's voice and sighed in relief. I pushed the tent flap open and walked over to my mom, leaning onto her side listening as Dale and Shane scolded Glenn. Soon after a truck pulled up, I watched as everyone reconnected with their families, my heart ached for dad, I stepped back as my mom leant down to hug a crying Carl.

Another man then pulled himself out of the truck and my eyes widened. Carl and mom started running towards him and I just stared in disbelief. Glenn nudged my shoulder, "that your daddy?" I nodded my head slowly in shock. I pulled myself together quickly, running into my dads open arms. He hugged me and Carl close together and I held on, scared to let go. "Daddy, what happened to you?" I asked studying him. He smiled kissing my forehead, "now that ain't what's important now is it?" I smiled pressing my head against his chest. Dad leaned back and wiped more of Carl's tears. Mom rushed up hugging the three of us at once, and I just stayed there holding my dad tightly.

We helped dad catch up with everything, and when dinner was announced I and sat down with Dad eating my first full meal in what would have been at least a week. "You miss me?" Dad asked smirking. I sighed leaning back into him, "a little." He hit me lightly then continued eating himself. "Shane treat you good?" Dad asked. I nodded, "he got us out of the city. I'm sorry I left you." Dad pulled me into his shoulder, "don't you apologize kid, you've done nothing wrong." I gave him a small smile and shrugged, "how'd you get out?" Dad rolled his eyes, "you a detective tonight Leah?" I just ignored him

A few minutes later Sophia walked over to me extending her hand, I grabbed it standing up then followed her into her tent. "Wanna play dolls with me?" She asked. I bit my lip staring down, "I'll watch you play, I'm just tired." Sophia nodded and continued playing while I sat on the ground looking around the tent. "Your daddy came back." She whispered. I gave her a small smile, "I missed him." Sophia set her dolls down, "I miss how my dad used to be." I studied her, "maybe things will change." She shrugged and climbed into her sleeping bag, "I'm gonna go to bed." Slowly I stood up saying goodnight. My dad sat at the fire and mom was leaning on his shoulder. I made my way over to them sitting down on dads lap. I wrapped my arms around him and mom pushed hair out of my face. "Tired Leah?" Dad asked. I nodded leaning my head against them, mom hugged both of us together. "Why don't we all go get some rest?" Dad grabbed my hand leading us back to the tent.