Arc 5.1

Arc 5: How To Survive In this World: Become A Doting Master.

Inside the Great Library, Shi Shen sat down, reading in his usual spot right next to the giant glass window.

The soft starlight spilled on his entire body bathing him in a gentle and holy glow like a god being banished to the mortal realm.

Holding an ancient book in his right hand, with his left hand lazily propping his cheek, Shi Shen’s beautiful Phoenix eyes wholly focused on the content of the book making others dare not disturb him.

To onlookers, nothing was out of place. He looked serene and majestic as he had always been.

The tall and lofty mountain, Shi Shen.

He Tain couldn't help but rub his forehead while issuing a light sigh, not knowing what to say to the other man.

To him, who had been watching Shi Shen from the sideline for all this time, he could tell at one glance that something was wrong.

Their relationship may not be regarded as a friendship but He Tian had long considered Shi Shen as more than a ‘broken protagonist’ that he needed to supervise.

"Let's go." Shi Shen snapped the book closed with one hand after marking the page with a bookmark.

He Tian didn't respond right away. Pausing for a few seconds, he confirmed in a hesitant tone, “... Are you serious?”

Since Shi Shen has never looked at himself properly in the mirror, he never noticed that his eyes which have just started to regain their brilliance are now expressionless and dull.

He Tian didn't want to see him reverting to his past self.

Living while being dead inside.

As if not understanding He Tian's hidden implication, Shi Shen raised an eyebrow, "When have I ever not been serious?”

Knowing his stubborn character, He Tian decided to come clean with him, "You are sad, aren't you?"

"Sad?" Shi Shen gave a small laugh as if he had just heard something ridiculous.

Slowly turning his face to gaze at the beautiful Milky Way that stretched out indefinitely outside the window, he continued in a dull tone, "The one who got left behind is."

He, the one that left, doesn't have the right to be sad. Shi Shen finished the phrase in his mind.

Opening his eyes, Shi Shen was immediately met with a dimly lit cave. As someone who has gone through thick and thin countless times, he was unfazed and silently observed his new surroundings.

The stone wall was eroded by water and shaped by time creating a unique pattern that looked exceptionally ragged.

Stalactites hung from the ceiling rigidly pointing to the ground like an icicle. It gave off an illusion that they would suddenly drop and puncture whoever below them to death at any given time.

In contrast, stalagmites protruded from the ground pointing toward the top in various strange shapes leaving almost no safe place to step on.

Plob, plob, plob.

The sound of water droplets falling one after another was loud and clear in this empty and dark cave. The humidity should be high and low in temperature but surprisingly, Shi Shen did not feel cold at all.

At this strange phenomenon, he wordlessly shifted his gaze downward.

Sitting in a lotus position presuming to be in the middle of meditation, he was dressed in a clean set of white and light blue ancient robes. Cloud patterns were embroidered on the sleeve with silver thread looking both simple and elegant.