Chapter 24: Wedding Day and the Terrible News

Beth's View

I'm so nervous right now thy I can't even stand myself. As Maggie finishes up my hair and Michone touches up my make up, something just doesn't feel right. Everything is perfect and in place, but something in my gut is telling me that today is going to end terribly or start out terribly or something in the middle will be terrible- either way something is terrible and I can feel it.

As Maggie slips the vail into my bun, her mom comes over and fixes my pins in the back. I've lost a bit of weight due to nervousness and now the dress isn't exactly staying up by itself. As everyone scrambles about getting their dresses on and everything, I sneak over to one guest room and open it up. Going in Daryl is facing the window fixing his medals for his navel uniform, when he turns and sees it's me, he quickly turns back around and covers his eyes.

"Sweetie, it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding." He says and I know he's smiling. Going behind him I hold him close from behind and he holds my arms under his. "You okay? Not getting cold feet, are ya, Jitter bug?"

"No, my feet are piping hot actually." We laugh and he kisses my hands.

"But are you okay?"

"Yeah...I jus...I have a bad feeling." I know his face mellows out cause I feel his whole stature drop.

"About us?"

"No! Not about us. Jus that something is gonna happen and we won't be able to stop it...." I push my face to his black uniform and try to feel his muscles. I kiss right where I know a scar is and ten rub my face against it.

"Bethy, everything will be perfect. We already know Merle's gonna get shit faces and break something. Dad and Mom are gonna cry. Maggie and Glenn are gonna recount their memories, while Shawn does the whole 'you hurt her, I'll kill you' thing. So really, we're already prepared for the worst. Haha"

"Haha, yeah, I guess."

"Is that all you were worried about or is there somethin else?" His sweet voice carries in my ears and drips through my body like molasses. I never want to lose him and I never want to know what it's like again without him.

"No, that was it. I love you, Bugga Bear." I kiss his back and he turns around with closed eyes. "Haha what are you doing?"

"I want to actually kiss you...Lead me to yer face." Knowing I can mess with him, I lower his face to my chest and he kisses in between each breast. "I know yer short, but not that short. Like yer audacity though...seriously give me yer lips... The upper ones this time."

"Rats, you know me too well." I press my lips to his and then I sneak out to the living room.

"Getting sugar before it becomes boring in less than ten minutes?" Michone asks and gives me a hug.

"Yeah...I jus needed to talk to him." She fixes my hair and then hands me my bouquet.

"You better get back in yer room cause Merle and Rick are gonna come get him to go down. " We head to the room below mine and wait.

After a few minutes the girls start to process out and Daddy comes and gets me.

"You ready Bethy?" Turning from the vanity, I stand up and hug him tightly.

"Yes. You look handsome."

"Thanks Sweet Pea and you look very beautiful. Daryl's gonna be so happy." I brush a tear from my eye and and he just pulls me back into a hug. "Now, now Bethy, you don't do the crying today, that's mine and yer mothers job."