Chapter 30:

Chapter 30:

Beth's View

The suns out and the birds are singing on the balcony. Maggie left the doors open and a cool September breeze blows in. My eyes flutter up and down, leaving the outside scene blurry. It's been almost a week since Daryl and I still feel hollow. I barely eat and drink. I hear the door open but I refuse to confront Maggie.

"Go away Maggie... I just wanna die here." It's silent for a while. "I said leave me alone..."

Screaming as I sit up and face the door, my heart drops and tears fill my face. Standing in the doorway, in uniform, Daryl looks at me with hollow eyes and a small grin.

"Oh my god!" I weakly run from bed and break down to my knees and he drops with me, holding me closely.

"I got you, Jitter Bug. I got you." He sweetly says as he kisses my forehead. Maggie and Glenn stand in the doorway crying and holding each other. "I'm here...I'm here baby girl."

"You were gone...you were gone Daryl..." He kisses me over and over again and then he picks me up in his arms and carries me to bed. Maggie and Glenn shut the door as they leave and Daryl lays in bed next to me.

"I'm here now...I'm here now baby." Looking down at me, his eyes arch my wrist and pulls my arm up and looks at me with hollow eyes.

"I'm sorry... Daryl, I'm so sorry..."

"Oh Beth... it's okay...its alright." He takes off his shoes and his jacket, slipping off his pants as well and comes back to bed. As he goes to lay his head down, it hits the mattress and he looks at me. "Baby, where's my pillow? And my prized buck?"

"Um.....I kinda threw yer pillow at the lamp and it's now under the bed... covered in glass. And yer buck...its out the window."

Getting up he goes to the balcony and looks down.

"With yer clothes..." He turns back and looks at me. "Daryl, I'm..."

"It's okay, Beth. I'm just glad yer here and safe." He climbs back in bed and snuggles under the blankets with me. "I will be stealing one of yer pillows though."

I laugh and hand him one and he smiles, putting it under his head and pulling me close to his body. We fall asleep and I feel safe again.

Waking early the next morning, I turn and look at him all cozy and warm. Brushing his bangs back, I kiss his forehead and he captures my lips as I pull away.

"I've missed that so much." He whispers on my lips.

"I've missed you." I kiss his chest and his hand plays on my tattoed chest. "How'd you survive it?"

"Huh...We hid in a closest for three or four days before US and British forces broke up the building and found us. Then we went to Germany to get medical help and sent us home. Met with the president and he gave me a medal and stuff." He pushes my hair behind my ear and starts to suck on my neck. My hand plays on his chest and his hands move down to my waist.

I lay on his chest and hold his face in my hands. Stripping out of our clothes, he pushes inside me and I groan between kisses. We never lose eye contact until my orgasm starts getting closer. Flipping me onto my back, he pounds into me-not with lust like we usually do, but with hopeful forgotten love. I begin to cry as I climax because I can't believe he's home. Leaning down, he takes deep breaths in the crook I my neck and soon cums inside me. When he finishes, he rolls us back over so I'm on his stomach and he kisses my head before moving to my lips.

"I love you so much. I love you so damn much." He repeats over and over again.

I nuzzle my face into his chest and place my hand on his face.

"Yer never leaving me again. You hear me. Never again." I hold his chin in my hand and stare deep into his eyes. "It will ruin me if you leave me like that again."

"Honey, I'm not going anywhere. Ever."

"Don't lie to me...don't."

"I'm out. They retired me from the service...per my request." Tears prick up in my eyes and he wipes them away.

"I love you so much."

"I'm glad that I got you as I left you..."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I look up at him with confused eyes.

"Nothing...its just that the guys said that their women...ya know..."

"You thought I'd cheat on you? Daryl what would ever make you think that?"

"It was just talk...Beth, I don't wanna fight. I just got home..."

"I'd never hurt you like that Daryl. You're my best friend and I love you more than life..."

"I know. I got blessed when God gave me you."

"Here." Getting up, I go to my night stand drawer and take out his wedding band. "Kept it safe..."

"Tol ya I'd come back for it." He kisses me one last time before we fall asleep, content and emotionally home.