Chapter 26:

Chapter 26:

Daryl's View

Vast oceans. Waves hitting the port side and dolphins dancing for all the men watching from the decks. Standing over the rail of the port side, I think of Beth's blue eyes. As blue as this ocean and as mystical also. I've been on this ship for three months already and have written Beth over hundred letters.

"Dixon."

Turning around I find a friend of mine, Tomas.

"Sup, Tomas?"

"Nothing, man. Just came to get cha. General has a mission for ya." Standing up, I thank him and walk to the upper deck, where General Martinez is looking over maps and diagrams.

"Ah, Corp. Dixon. please shut the door."

"Yes sir."

"Today, we are making a move to better our stance. I want you and your platoon to enter Damascus and take out Abu al- Decari. He's the new leader of HPSP and he's becoming stronger."

"Sir, I'm hardly qualified to lead a platoon...with all due respect."

"I don't believe that, Dixon. You made it out of HPSP's grip once. I'm promoting you to Captain."

"Captain, sir?"

"Yes. You deserve it. Now, pull the top men you can. Do a clean sweep and take him out."

I'm dismissed and I call ranks. I work hard picking my men. But find each one exceptional in force and cunning. We won't make port off of Syria for three days, so until then I try to Skype Beth as much as possible.

She picks up and looks more beautiful as ever.

"Hey!!!! Daryl, I've missed you."

"Haha, I've missed you like crazy."

"How are you?" She pushes her hair out if her face and holds her head up with her palm.

"I'm great. Got great news."

"You're coming home?" Crushed.

"N...no. I got promoted to Captain...I wish I was coming home."

"Well, least you are higher up now."

"Yeah...whats new at home?"

"Nothing. Moose got the neighbors Husky pregnant, so ya know, they want me to pay for half the vet bill."

"That's my boy, Moose. Shagging and not taking responsibility."

"Haha, don't encourage him. He really is a scoundrel."

"What else is going on? You been sleeping okay? You seem tired."

"I've been waking up frequently...but I'm fine."

"Why? What's going on?" She looks down and then back up at me. Tears stain her face and I wish I was there to hold her.

"Nightmares...just nightmares Daryl."

"About what? Beth...about what?"

"You..." I sit back in my seat and brush my short hair back with my hand.

"Aw, Beth...Im fine sweetheart. Please put anything else out of yer mind. I'll be home soon enough and then I'll hold you and make love to you...Please try and get some sleep." Her eyes mellow and a small smile crosses her face.

"Okay. I love you Bugga Bear."

"I love you, Jitter Bug." I blow her a kiss and she gives me one back. It's so hard signing off, but my time is up and I know the longer we talk, the harder it will be.

Laying on my bunk, I look at my wedding photo on my wall. Rubbing my thumb over her face, I try to close my eyes and remember her touch.

Waking up the next day, I get up and start my work out. After Im done, I head to the mess hall where everyone congratulates me. They must have been told yesterday after I went to bed. As I eat, Tomas comes up to me and smiles.

"So they said well dock this afternoon, which means we deploy tomorrow morning."

"Wait, what? We weren't supposed to get there until Friday."

"Yeah, well they did full speed. Hope we're ready to go take out HPSP." He bright smiles as he takes a sip of coffee. "So you talk to yer wife last night?"

"Yeah..."

"She okay?"

"Yeah. Just dealing with this." I eat some eggs and feel my gut wrench.

"I get it. So you two planning in having kids?" I look up at him and shrug my shoulders.

"I don't know...She wants kids, but em she won't say anything cause she knows I don't."

"You don't want kids? But you both are like the perfect couple? How could you not want kids?"

"And what? Subject them to this? Leave her to explain why they'll never see me? That I could die and they won't understand why I don't come home for their birthday? No. I don't want kids. It's not fair to them. It's not fair to Beth." I clean my tray an Tomas drops the conversation.

Later in the rec-room, David and Jim play pool, while I read another one of Beth's letters. This one has a picture of her and Moose sitting by the pond. Jim comes over while David starts a new game.

"What's that?"

"My wife and dog. He sends me one every letter..."

"She's gorgeous. Yer lucky. My wife was like that til she stopped writing and started fucking my best friend."

"Jim...dude, that's his wife."

"I'm just saying. This life always fucks you over." Jim breaks with the cue and pockets a striped. David shakes his head and looks at me.

"Don't listen to him man. He's bitter. Yer wife obviously loves you so much. She ain't ever gonna cheat on you or leave you."

"Yeah, guess yer right."

"Whatever you say Dave...didnt you have a girlfriend who cheated on you with yer brother when you went to Kandahar?"

"Shut up...it was over anyway."

"I'm just saying. When you in the service, you always gonna be alone. Ain't no woman loyal."

Getting up, I walk passed them and head to my bunk. Beth wouldn't cheat on me like that. Would she?

I fall asleep, but only cause my body shuts down from frustration and torment.