Home is Where the Heart is (4)

Tubbo POV

Techno watched the noodles boil with an intense fire in his eyes. Tubbo suppressed the urge to laugh. They were almost finished, and he couldn't deny it was fun to be the teacher for once. 

"How about now?" Techno asked for about the millionth time in five minutes. Tubbo nodded and braced the drainer over the sink. 

When they finished people started to naturally drift into the room, Phil offered to set the table (which of course he made Tommy help).  The whole idea of eating a meal together wasn't as awkward as Tubbo thought it would be. That was good, he didn't know how long they were going to be here.

From how supressed Tommy's reactions were he was guessing a while, but that was something he would deal with later. For now he just listened to everyone talk, and waited for Wil and Nikki to come back.

Tubbo made sure to set aside two plates of food, and he started to clean up. About halfway Fundy took over with George, and Tubbo left to go find Tommy. He noticed the closed door to the billiard room, and smiled. 

Tommy was on the floor in front of the fireplace trying to light it. Tubbo watched until he got a spark, moving to catch the ember with dry brush.

The flame cackled not five minutes later. Tommy looked over at his best friend with a smile. Before he could say anything they got interrupted by Bad.

"Alright everyone me and Tommy looked around earlier, and it seems like there is more than enough rooms, each one has a name on it. So yeah I know it's creepy but I recommend checking it out. I am heading off to sleep, you guys should as well.

Tommy didn't move, so Tubbo didn't either. George got up, and followed bad out. Other than that everyone stayed put for a while. Tubbo yawned, resting his head on his hands. His friend put a hand on his shoulder, with a reassuring squeeze said this.

"You can go to sleep if you want. Tubbo you don't have to wait up for me I'll be fine." Tommy said softly, which was unusual for him. Tubbo shook his head.

"I'm really not that tired. I just..." Tubbo sighed, falling silent. Tommy stood up and pulled Tubbo up by the hand. They walked down the hall, until Tommy came to a stop in front of a room that said Tubbo in big cursive letters on it.

"Tommy... Can you come in with me for a little bit?" He asked hesitantly asked, looking at his feet. Earlier this wasn't something he thought much about. But now it ringed in his ear, loud as a church bell. These people knew him, the people that nabbed all of his friends at the party. What if they were just waiting inside like monsters in a closet?

"Yeah, for a little bit of course." Tommy propped open the door. Tubbo cautiously went in, Tommy following.

The walls were a soft yellow, a stripped spruce dresser and nightstand. The bed was too, with simple black sheets.

"Oh my god it kinda looks like a bee." Tommy breathed, Tubbo gave a uncomfortable nod. 

Tommy's First POV 

I actually felt the protective instinct kick in after seeing that. I stayed with Tubbo until he drifted off, making sure to only dim the lights a little bit. I know he would want them on, especially on the first night. I could stay with him another couple hours, but decide against it. I still had people to check on. 

The act I always put up for videos vanished quickly, I couldn't even hold it back. All of these people, they were my family. And it meant more to me now than ever that they knew I cared about them.

I carefully shut the door, and ran into Phil. He jumped, grabbing his chest with a little chuckle.

"Tommy you scared me!"

I mumbled a rushed apology. And he walked over to his door, stopping with a heavy sigh.

"Phil it's a little creepy, you want me to go in first?" I ask, he puts a hand on my shoulder. 

"Tommy you know I really mean this, and I know I probably said this when I was..." He paused, I stifled a laugh, "Intoxicated. You, Wilbur, and Technoblade really do mean a lot to me." 

He pulled me into a tight hug before I could respond, he released me seconds later, before disappearing behind his door. It shut with a light click. I headed back to the living room, taking inventory of who was still awake.

Techno was gone, as was Fundy. Dream and Sapnap played cards on the long couch. Wil and Nikki were still somewhere hanging out. Seemed about right as Sapnap headed off to sleep, and it was me and Dream left. I sat down and he started dealing out cards.

"Black Jack sound good to you?" He asked, I nodded. We played in silence for a little bit, taking turns being the dealer. Maybe an hour went by, give or take. We were both tired, but neither willing to go face whatever mirror image of ourselves laid behind each door. 

"Hey Tommy let's make a deal, you check mine, I check your's." Dream said out of nowhere. I broke into a grin.

"You scared Dream?" I taunted, he elbows me in the gut and I raise my hands in mock surrender, "Okay okay let's go!" I put the cards down and we head down the hallway.

Of all people, I probably had the most secluded room, it was at the end of a hallway next to a library. Wilbur probably would have liked it, but to me it's just erie. Dream's room is in between Georges and Sapnap's and I tug the handle quick. It opens and I release it like it was made of acid.

Of course the walls were green, of fucking course. I chuckle to myself, it was all so him. Everything was sturdy and light at the same time. Most everything was green, some browns and blues as well. I walked over to a small bookshelf, and it had various textbooks involving coding placed on it.

"Nerd." I whisper, brushing a layer of dust off it.

"Tommy?" Dream said from outside the door. Hurrying over I open it and give him a brief summary.

"Everything is green, as would be expected. Coding books, other books I didn't bother with... it's basically you if you were about a gallon of paint."

Dream hesitantly smiled, poking his head through the doorway. Moments after, he let out a sigh of relief, "Alright I'm sure now that everyone else's is probably worse. Yours included. To be fair I was faceless." I let out a grumble of fake annoyance, as they walked down to his.

"I suppose this is what I get for being a Tik Toker."

Dream actually laughed at that one, one of his wheezy tea kettle laughs. It felt good. He showed me in, and instantly something caught his eye.

A old fashion record player, with two discs next to it. I covered my eyes, and let out a groan.

"Damn, that's... That's..." I looked over at the photo of my high school graduation, quickly turning away, "That's insane! This is insane! That's my high school! My fucking home!" I dropped to my knees, "We aren't ever going back are we?"

"Tommy...." Dream fumbled, "A-at l-east for a little while, Tommy we are stuck here."

Dream POV

He watched Tommy carefully, the teenager sat on his knees on the floor. Dry heaving, Tommy put his head against the cool floor, Dream was unsure of what to do. He bent down to help him, but Tommy spoke first.

"Goodnight Dream." He snapped, and Dream backed off.

"Tommy are you-"

"Goodnight Dream." He repeated. Dream nodded in defeat, and walked out the door.