Chapter 13: Reality

~~~

Naruto looked up, gazing at the night sky. It has been quite some time since has join ROOT — almost a year or so. Naruto was still 6 while almost his entire class was 7. It was petty, but that was the only thing he felt inferior by; age. Fuck!

Naruto looked back down from the night sky. His eyes now gazing at the mask he now had to wear. Naruto was amused looking at the mask he now had to wear.

Ironic that it resembles a fox quite well. It indeed did. But it must, since the mask he wears is a fox mask. Naruto picked up his fox mask and slipped it right onto his face. ROOT had no real attire that they actually had to wear.

Disorganized. Naruto thought, walking towards the middle of the ROOT Anbu HQ. He walked past the local and common entrance that was usually taken to get inside the base.

But Naruto was at the lowest floor, gracefully moving right along the path to where Danzo was residing at. Naruto kept on seeing other ROOT members walk by him.

They were trained to have no emotion, no failures. As Naruto was walking, he saw a dark and large corridor that was going to lead towards a new room that he was quite familiar with.

Naruto entered the room that had Danzo standing still. Danzo turned around as met eyes with Naruto himself. Naruto bowed down slightly to show respect.

"Konoha is attempting to create a high-tech television," said Danzo, stating a recent fact that had recently been the talk of the entire village itself. The highly intelligent people are trying to create a sturdy television that was the most state of the art item since Icha-Icha.

"You called for me, Danzo-sama," stated Naruto, wondering what the reason might be on why he was summoned to this exact place at this hour of day. Danzo observed Naruto at an ungodly degree.

"Straight forward as usual. I have a mission for you, Naruto." He nodded, internally tensing at the word 'mission'. What kind of mission could it possibly be? Naruto had not been sent on many missions. The reason was quite simple: He wasn't strong enough carry out them. Naruto guessed that was a fair excuse.

But there was a real reason why.

He's trying to keep a close eye on me. Naruto thought. Danzo wanted to keep track of Naruto's abilities as closely as closely. While Danzo want Naruto to improve when it came to achieving Danzo's goals, he doesn't want Naruto to advance too quickly to the point where Naruto could potentially retaliate.

"I need you to examine the perimeter of the village — the perimeter at the gates of Konoha. The guards protecting the tree are too weak protect Konoha. I need someone competent like you to be on the job for the night." Naruto nodded, bowing down slightly before walking out of the room in pure silence.

Soon enough, the entire village of Konoha will be wrapped around my finger. Thought Danzo, standing still once more for the other ROOT members.

~~~

This was an odd request. Naruto thought. It was an odd mission, even for him. All the other ROOT members are usually tasked to do something very gruesome. But this, this was truly odd.

This was something only a simple chunin would get from time to time. So it would only make sense for Naruto to be suspicious of such thing. He finally made it to the post that he was supposed to be at.