Chapter 36: My Pawns

~~~

"Interesting! It truly is! A hidden Uchiha hiding all along; I know for sure now — you shall be the back-up plan if the first plan doesn't work out." Naruto narrowed his eyes, trying to piece together what Orochimaru was planning.

Satsuki looked over at Naruto and noticed that his Sharingan was not the normal 3-tomoes.

Those eyes. . . Satsuki thought. She then looked away from gazing into Naruto's eyes even deeper. Satsuki was solely focused on Orochimaru and the current situation.

"What's the plan?" Asked Sakura.

Naruto sighed, knowing the two had not come up with a plan even though Naruto had managed to stall time long enough to where they should have by the time I couldn't stall anymore.

Guess I was wrong. But a plan won't benefit us in the long run. Naruto thought, suddenly switching thoughts to the other side of the spectrum.

"A plan won't be needed," whispered Naruto. Satsuki and Sakura raised an eyebrow at the words that Naruto let escape from his own mouth.

"What do you mean? I thought we needed a plan if we want to defeat this Orochimaru guy." Naruto slightly clicked his tongue, knowing defeating Orochimaru was an impossible task for them at the moment.

"Even though I said that I don't like losing and that all it matters is that I win in the end; that won't always be the case. I — we — don't have the necessary power to defeat this guy."

"So you were bluffing that entire time?"

"No. If I don't win this battle, I'll win in the end." This caused confusion between the two females in the team.

"Isn't that the same thing? I find hardly any difference in what you had just said." Naruto glanced at Sakura for a moment before turning his attention back to the attentive snake.

"You misinterpret what I am saying, Satsuki, Sakura. What I mean is that, while I may lose the battle here, I'll win the war in the end. That's all that matters." Naruto's tone was apathetic; emotionless.

It caused a shiver down their spines.

"Then why are we attempting to fight the snake?" Asked Satsuki, glancing at Orochimaru for a brief moment or two. Naruto looked at Satsuki before giving her an honest answer.

"Because we have no choice. He's smart, I know that for a fact."

"How do you know?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"No?"

Before anything else could be said, a snake's tail was slammed right on the bottom of the tree. Orochimaru was trying to tip over the tree that they were currently standing on.

They jumped away, moving right towards the next tree that was in their sight.

You might be wondering on how Naruto knew that Orochimaru was smart even though he had very little information on who and what kind of person Orochimaru was.

And like what Naruto had said, it was a very simple deduction.

For Naruto anyway.

From the moment that they first interacted, Naruto was focused, not on fear, but on observing. All this time, he has been observing the words that rushed out of Orochimaru's mouth.

The first thing he knew that led to this conclusion was on how he got into the Chunin Exams.

Naruto knew it took great skill to infiltrate and disguise themselves as a random genin from another village. This also meant that he knew the ins and outs of the village.