Chapter 43: A Thousand Birds

~~~

And in a blink of an eye, the whole month had past by like it was practically nothing. All the contestants in the finals poured all their hard work into their training.

Except. . . maybe a few — to be more exact — one person didn't did take it too seriously.

Nara Shikamaru.

Though what he did during the whole month break before the finals was a story for another day and another time. There was no use talking about someone that sat and lazed around for now.

And Naruto? Well, he was having a hard time getting out of bed. Why? It's due to him messing up his calculations. What were his calculations? The day of the Chunin Exams.

"Can't believe no one bothered to tell me," said Naruto, apathetically looking out of his own window. While today was the day of the Chunin Exams, it was originally not supposed to be today.

His body ached just a tiny bit as he got himself ready.

He was already so late to the finals — but his match was supposed to be last, so that was convenient for him. Though he'll probably get a lecture from the higher-ups due to his tardiness.

It was the academy all over again. Naruto thought, pulling the door to the outside world open. Now, let's move back to the former topic at hand.

So, today was a Wednesday and it was the day of the finals. Though this was not always the case before. This was because the finals of the Chunin Exams was rescheduled to this day.

Before, the finals were supposed to be on this week's weekend — Sunday to be more exact. But this changed during yesterday evening. It seems he was training too much to the point he fell asleep on the ground and missed the meeting between all of the contestants.

The news only got itself to Naruto this morning via Anbu Black Ops. 

Now, as you know, Naruto was going to be arriving late. It was only natural that since he was going to be in the last battle, that he should make a cool-looking entrance.

Though I think just walking in the arena is more beneficial for me in the long run. Just think about it — trying to make a cool entrance would have to make Naruto use more than the necessary amount of energy than him just walking in late.

~~~

"He's late," Shikamaru said, lazily observing the contestants that were there. Some things never changed, he guessed. First, it was Naruto missing or tardy to class.

Now, it was him being missing in an event that was about to shape another part of their lives and future. He did also notice that Naruto was not at the meeting yesterday made by the Hokage to inform of this change.

Shikamaru figured Naruto would naturally not know of this change. But he was aware that Hiruzen wouldn't be so ignorant to not notice this and not send a higher-up to inform him.

He internally sighed.

God, this was so troublesome for him. Not only was Naruto going to be late, but his lateness might cost him the tournament and hold back the tournament itself.

And it's quite funny -- Naruto, being more late than the infamous Kakashi. That's quite an achievement on his part.

Well, there was no use for them to think about it as of right now. Such a topic was only important at the very end.