Chapter 38: Preliminary

~~~

Naruto the the two others jumped from tree to tree. Out of the 5 days that they were all given, they were able to complete it within 2-3 days.

Though Naruto did feel slight unsatisfied knowing that they could've done exponentially better if Orochimaru hadn't appeared right before them.

If Naruto could estimate an exact time; it would have been possible for them to clear the Forest of Death in just a few hours if they put their mind to it.

The people I'm facing. . . they're getting stronger by the day. Me on the other hand, it feels like I'm stagnant in growth. Naruto thought. He noticed this as he fought in the Chunin Exams.

While I am still stronger than them by a considerable extent, they are catching up like a wildfire. Team 7 launched themselves off of the tree that they were currently on.

I'm weak.

I'm stagnant.

I'm incompetent.

I need power.

Naruto internally wanted to punch a tree just right about now. Why was he feeling this way? He never felt such a level of incompetence ever in his life.

Naruto has always been at the top.

He has always been the strongest and the smartest. But he is now starting to feel doubt in his own abilities. To think being in a village that preaches about 'The Will of Fire' would make him feel this way.

I've grown weak just from my stay in this village. It has pierced through my exterior through relentless force — I can't have that happen to me. Naruto thought.

He knows what is needed to be done for him to rebuild the walls all around him.

If me staying in the village is the cause of such thing, then the most efficient way is to sever it. Naruto thought with the apathetic face of his. But it'll take time for him to sever it.

He knows this quite thoroughly.

This is due to the reason that Naruto still has unfinished business that needs to be attended in the near future.

I just need 2 years for it to happen. Naruto and the other two continued to jump from tree to tree with such ease and elegance. It was only a matter of time before they reached their destination.

Trust no one. You only need yourself. Naruto thought as he told himself this.

~~~

They had reached the tower without much trouble along the way. Naruto was actually quite surprised that no one had tried ambushing them when they were going to the tower.

It was quite an efficient place to begin with.

People who go to the tower are people that usually have the two scrolls within their own grasp. The ambushers just have to wait at the near end of the tower for their victims.

But them actually getting the scrolls from their victims is a whole different story. If they are incompetent, then they won't get it from then, unless if the opposing team is also weak as well.