Chapter Twenty-eight ⭐💚

Narrated by JASON:

Grandma and grandpa insisted that Fred and I spend solo time together, so they used my father's old room as an excuse to get us bonding. I guess. The room is too feminine, nothing wrong with that but Rose wants the room to resemble me. But what about, Petunia? What if she returns and her room is all changed? Wouldn't she be pissed?

Fred took a sip from his cola with his eyes shut like it's the best thing he has ever tasted in his life. He reopened them and they fell on mine. "Why are your eyes so... dead? Is it because you're a zombie?"

I shrugged and picked up a chip, "I don't know Jack about squat. Remember? The one person who knows me in and out abandoned me,"

"Oh Jason, don't say it like that. You know Sarah only meant well, hey... isn't that Kin?"

I turned around and saw Kin strutting around angrily, she didn't look where she was going but she was making her way past us. She reached us and slightly walked past us before I said her name in a calm tone. It snapped her right out of her thoughts as she turned around and saw us.

She pulled out a chair and sat down, frowning, folding her arms. The two of us just looked at her for a few seconds.

"What happened?" I asked. Genuinely concerned.

She looked at me and sighed. "Turns out that Beverley is the vampire that is brutally killing everyone,"

"Who's Beverley?"

"A friend of a friend," I replied. "How though? She doesn't look like a vampire,"

Kin nodded her head. "She's an experiment, don't ask me. I have no clue,"

Fred took a huge bite from his burger and looked at us, "normally experiments are to be used as weapons," he said with a mouth full.

I curled my upper lip, my eyes narrowed as my nose is drew up and wrinkled. I shook my head as I looked at Fred. "You're an animal, don't talk with food in your mouth. Don't nobody wanna see that,"

I pushed my plate towards Kin, offering her a slice of my pepperoni pizza which I also took a slice from. She took one and took a small bite, "so ya'll hanging out? I like that,"

Fred nodded his head. "Yeah, he's moving in on Monday and we are supposed to buy him some things for his bedroom,"

"Personalize it," I replied, "but how can you personalize a room for someone who doesn't have a personality. So I don't care,"

"I think grandma is just doing this so that you can feel welcome," Fred said.

"Hmm," Kin said and chewed her food first, "and maybe so that it can't be so soft and feminine," she sighed. "I wonder what Petunia's like,"

I thought about that often, about her and my mom. I wonder what my father was like and if I resemble him more than just physically. "Me too, she seems friendly though,"

"She is..." Fred said. "She doesn't have a phone or social media anything because she's on the run,"

"What!? Why?" I asked. And why on earth didn't he tell me before.

"She was held prisoner at the O'Grady's Children Hospital,"

"I thought I was born there?"

Fred nodded his head as he took a sip from his cool drink. "You were. You were almost a prisoner too but Sarah managed to escape as well,"

"I've never heard of this hospital, why does it imprison people?" Kin asked.

Fred shook his head. "No, not people... just the special ones like Michael and my mom, Sarah and of course the people that they keep do experiments on,"

Kin shuddered and grabbed my milkshake and took a sip.

"Excuse me," I looked right into Fred's eyes wide-eyed, "that they do experiments on?"

"Yeah... They take animal DNA and infuse it with human DNA creating new species,"

"What for?" Kin snapped as if Fred's to blame.

"This kind of thing happens all over, it's not new. But they work for the government, they want to use these people as soldiers and Petunia is one of them,"

I raised my eyebrows and stared at my chips blankly. "Poor Petunia,"

"Yeah. Now that she's escaped, you know the C.F.S want to use her to push their world domination agenda and T.U.P wants her dead, along with hunters and O'Grady's themselves,"

Kin covered her mouth and a small burb escaped her mouth, "why would the hospital want her dead?"

"Not just her, she escaped with her friends. They believe that they're corrupt. If they couldn't conform to the government under its control, then they're faulty,"

I didn't like what my ears were hearing. As soon as you have special powers and abilities you're no longer viewed as a human or whatever. All you are is a power tool that people either want to use or destroy. But no one has their best interest at heart, no one gets it. There's no organisation out there that cares about both humans and supernatural creatures. This is weird because supernatural creatures have been around since the beginning of time.

"So what do she and her friends do?" I asked. I don't even know her yet but she's my sister and I care about her safety.

"What Sarah does, run and run and run,"

Kin sighed and looked at me. "Does this mean that that's our life?"

I shrugged and looked into her silver eyes. "Maybe... we're lucky enough to have our parents fight so that we can have a normal life but yeah... that's supposed to be our life,"

"No rest?"

"No rest,"

She chuckled. "After we finish school... you just already know things will change drastically, they can only protect us for so long,"

I nodded my head and grabbed another chip and ate it. It does make me nervous, I don't even know what I want to study after high school but I want to leave town but that means exposing myself to a larger audience. My mother really can't go everywhere with me, and my friends won't be there either. But enough, The future will take care of its self.

"Tell us about, Beverley? How come she only confessed now?"

Kin took another bite from her slice, "she has memory loss. She claims, not entirely sure if that's true,"

"You honestly sound pissed," Fred noticed. He only mentions it because it's rare to see Kin upset, doesn't seem like something she becomes easily.

"I am. She had a hidden camera necklace she saw what she did. Can you imagine though? If she really can't remember and she had to see it from a video? That sucks," she sulked.

"Are you hearing yourself?" I asked her. She shook her head and took a sip from my milkshake, "she has everything on tape. That's your proof, you're finally free from all accusations. Thanks to Bev!"

Her eyes ripened, she was so mad that she didn't even notice. Months of searching for the vampire and she finally has proof. There's no way she's going to prison now. She can clear her name.

"Jason! You're a genius,"

"I really am not,"

She pulled me in for the tightest hug ever, she chewed the last bite of her pizza. "Thank you, cousins. I have to talk to Beverley,"