Chapter Twenty-one *

Narrated by KIN:

"What do you guys wanna be one day when you grow up?"

The three of us laid at the back of the school yard, watching the clouds turn into shapes and faces. We smoked weed as I wondered about how to answer it. It was Lemon who asked the question, a question I am not so sure about the answer. In my fantasies, I'm a lawyer, with at least two kids. We live in a big house, I'm either single or very in love. Never in between. Realistically, life isn't so simple, especially not if you are what I am.

"I've always wanted to be a P.I," Vincent replied. "I feel like I'd be mighty great as well,"

"No wife or kids?" I asked, taking a deep puff of my joint. Like Cait, I have to add some powder to have it do what it's supposed to do. Otherwise we just won't get high. Bethany makes and sells them.

He shrugged. "Not really. Don't care for kids but I could have like a girl that I dump every six months,"

Lemon chuckled. "Why? You hate love?"

"Nah," he smoked, "nothing like that. More like I don't believe it exists, so why should I waste my time pursuing it?"

"What about your future plans? Lemon?" I wanted to know.

She went silent for the longest time. I even thought that she wasn't going to answer, but she did. "I don't know. I'm not allowed to think about that, my mom tells me what my next move in life is. Always been and always will,"

"That's a shame," Vincent spoke. "I'm sorry,"

She sighed heavily, "it's okay. It's just my life. You Kin?"

"I've always wanted to be a lawyer. Now I want to explore other career choices," and by that I mean I think it's best if I try and help cranters fight to exist. "I do want kids, at least two. A boy and a girl, but maybe that's one too many kids,"

If I'm going to have kids, one would be easier to run away with. I sat upright, "I feel horrible about Bev and Cait,"

Vincent sat upright as well, "why? What happened?"

"They're fighting and it's my fault,"

Lemon giggled and sat up with us, "what did you do?"

"Not important," I can't tell them the truth, "I just can't leave it like that,"

"So do something about it," Vincent urged.

Lemon nodded their head. "Yeah. Let's help them,"

"Really? You'll help me?"

"What else do we have to do?" Vincent asked.

"Should we plan a bff suprise dinner?" Lemon asked.

I shrugged. "Beverley would get up and leave the second she sees, Caitlyn,"

"I have a chocolate in my bag," Vincent shared, "I'll give it to, Beverley and pretend it comes from Caitlyn. We'll write an apology note and everything,"

That sounded like a great idea, so we snug it in her locker and waited for lunch time. She found it there, read the note and crumpled it up in her hands. Then she walked away and handed the chocolate to the nearest stranger. She must really be hurt by Caitlyn.

"Okay, so that flopped. Let's try, Caitlyn?" Lemon suggested.

We didn't know what to do, Caitlyn didn't want to speak with me. She saw me approaching her and headed the other way, I jogged up to her and she yelled at me for ruining her friendship. She genuinely loves Beverley, that was clear, and now because of my investigation she lost her sister.

I gave up, went to Saskia's after school and complained there. She listened to me, like she always does. Not interrupting me once. When I finished she chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"Did you try speaking with, Beverley? Sometimes you don't need some huge gesture, sometimes all you have to do is use your words. Make her understand,"

Saskia always knows what to say, and how to approach situations. She was right. I sprung up and kissed her on the cheek, "thank you so much,"

I picked up my school bag, "where are you going to?"

"Beverley's home,"

Beverley lived in a mansion in the city, so there wasn't much yard or anything. Their whole place looks like an apartment building. I rang the bell from the gate, a maid let me in.
She took my cape and my school bag and put it away. Then she led me up to Beverley's room. She knocked, "Miss Beverley, you have a friend," she then looked at me and gave me a small smile, "go in dear,"

I did just that. I opened her white double door and stepped inside. Her room looked like heaven. She had large grey tiles and a white carpet. It looked like a boutique, there were mannequins who wore expensive clothes. A large grey table agaimst the side of her walls. On them were bags and jewelry. There was a large wall with a large mirror, behind the wall was another door. Beverley has a huge room, bigger than mine. This door was glass, and it led me into her main room.

The white continued, she has a king size bed with white bedding and a pink throwover for a pop of colour. On the wall was a large poster, black and white with a woman with bright pink lips. She had with her a brigh pink handbag, wore a white bikini and stood in front of a pink beetle car.

Beverley stood by her dresser, looking in the mirror trying to put on a necklace. "Four-fang, can you help me?"

I walked over to her and placed the necklace around her neck. It was an orange flower necklace. "What are you doing here?"

I sat down on a plain white sofa bed and looked at the tall beauty. "I just wanted to tell you that it was my idea to interrogate you. Caitlyn didn't want too,"

She scoffed, "you're just trying to make her look good. Which is awesome of you, but I felt betrayed, Kin. How could she accuse me of anything so monstrous?"

"Again, it was me. I told her that she's being bias because she's your friend. She shot off every proof I had against you, all because she knows you," I looked at my hands. I felt so bad for what I've done with their friendship. "She's innocent. You should be mad at me,"

She stared at me, leaning against her white makeup table. She touched her new necklace and gave me a sad smile, "you know this is a hidden camera?"

"Why?"

"Because... I've been thinking about the things you guys accused me of, what if it is me?"

I stood up and walked up to her, "no. We compelled you. It isn't you,"

"But... I feel it in my soul. I have gaps in my memory, I think,"

She confused me, "what do you mean you think you have gaps in your memory? Do you have it or not?"

She shrugged. "Not sure. If I have it's like a cover-up, I know. Sounds ridiculous, but... I feel like something or someone is fucking with my mind. So, I bought this necklace so that it can see what I do,"

"What you're saying sounds unreal. Are you sure?"

She nodded her head. "I am. Kin, what if you're right? What if I am the monster killing all the people?"