Chapter Fifty-seven

Narrated by JASON

When I woke up the next morning, I had to make sure that the dream was real. That Doctor Hart and I had the same dream, is she truly on board. Or was it my dream?

I brushed my teeth and washed my face, then I went straight to her office. Skipped breakfast for this, because this is big. That way I can share good news with the others. I knocked on her door and she called me in. This time, she wasn't acting awkward, as usual, she gave me a warm smile. A welcoming one. Unlike the cold stares she gave me the last few days.

I entered and sat down. "I have a lot of work to do today. So I cannot play the game with you,"

"Are you really going to help us escape?"

She sighed and removed her reading glasses, "yes. Of course. I thought we had this conversation last night. In my dreams?"

I couldn't believe my ears, that was real? That's insane. I gave a big fat smile, a real one. The twins will be fine. Now all I've got to do is share the good news with them. And ask Kin to fake handle Doctor Hart. Easy. I rose to my feet, "okay then. Doctor Hart."

"Thank you so much!"

She grinned and put her glasses back on her face, "you're welcome."

I left her office and went to the cafeteria. Stood in the line and found Maxwell and Hayden, they sat so close to each other. "Where's Kin and Cara?"

"Kin said she's not feeling well," Hayden told me, "and Cara... She still hasn't woke up. I'll check up on her after breakfast,"

"What?" I eventually sat down. "Is it serious?"

Maxwell shook his head, "no, the doctors say she's just exhausted. She's used so much of her strength yesterday, and she's not used to that. That's all."

I sighed and looked at my toast. Suddenly I wasn't feeling well. I played with my eggs, thinking that maybe I'll eat it soon. But I couldn't bring myself to eat.

"Are you...?" Hayden started a sentence I interrupted.

"... I can't eat. I have to make sure Kin is alright."

They nodded their heads, I looked at them. "I'll meet you two in Cara's room?"

"Sure." Maxwell told.

I gave them the thumbs up and left. I rushed over to Kin's walking faster than I usually do, the hallways felt longer. Like it kept extending itself. I wanted to be with her right now. I pushed her door open when I reached it. She stood by the window and looked out. All the windows are digital. Because we are underground, but it gives the sense that we're not. That the sun is shining brightly, and the birds are chirping. She stood there and hugged herself.

"Kin?" I asked softly.

She turned around, her cheeks damp. Her eyes swollen and red, I rushed over to her and opened my arms. She fell into them. I held her tightly. I hate seeing one of the most powerful, wonderful person in this state. Kin is a goddess, she can't be a wreck. She should leave that to me. Her fingers clawed into my skin, she held me tighter than I did her.

My chest silent her loud sobs, she soaked my shirt in her tears. We just stood like that for a while, she pulled away and wiped her tears. "Kin, what's the matter?"

She walked over to her bed and sat down. "What do you mean, Jason? I tried to hold it together but I can't anymore. I miss my family, and friends. I miss playing with Lainey, miss practise with dad. I miss making jewellery with aunt Lexi and I miss painting with mom,"