Chapter Forty

Vreemde-Kin ran right into Jason's arms, they haven't seen each other for four days now and she missed him.

They separated the two to avoid them causing any more trouble and decided to start stabbing them with needles into their flesh and connecting their minds to machines. Her mind was normal. They could play with her thoughts and fantasies, even insert their own realities in her mind and watch her entertain the thoughts to learn more about her characteristics. So far they've learned that she really loves her friends and family and that she missed them. They weren't even sure at first that bloodsuckers could love that's why they've concluded that she's studied the behavioural patterns of love and acts on it. How else would bloodsuckers fit in with the humans they surround themselves with? That's why they concluded that she has no emotional bond with anyone in her life.

Jason however, his mind was shut off completely. Black as night, no thoughts, no fantasies just plain darkness in his head. So it is harder to know what he's thinking but they're going to force him to think today.
They weren't sure if the emptiness was good or bad. Does that mean he's a cold soul? Or is it safer that there aren't any thoughts swirling around in his head? Something they decided they'll have to find out.

As far as abstracting blood from him, that was impossible. His flesh is much harder so needless couldn't enter it. They decided to cut him open instead but his blood wasn't runny like they expected it to be and it was black instead of red.

He just entered the cafe and the first thing he hears is Kin calling his name and the next thing he knew he was being squeezed. He just stood there feeling awkward that she was getting so close but he allowed her to hold him for a few seconds before he cleared his throat and stood in the line to get himself a healthy breakfast.

He sat down before her. All she had was a two-litre bottle filled with blood, they don't serve it here but thankfully she's in a hospital. "I can't believe they started us. How are you?"

He took a bite from his banana and shrugged. He has never felt anything but lately, he's beginning to feel scared at a lot of things. And he doesn't exactly feel like being scared is a normal thing. He shook his head, he doesn't want to scare her he decided. "I'm fine,"

She softly chuckled at his weak attempt at giving her an assuring smile, "who doesn't know how to smile?"

"I see people throwing smiles around all the time. I don't get it though,"

She smiled and gently grabbed his hand, "smiling isn't something you do. It's something you feel. A real one anyway,"

He nodded his head.

"But thanks for that smile anyway. You have beautiful teeth."