Chapter Thirty-three

Narrated by Vincent and Saskia

Vincent
I opened up my heavy eyelids and stretched out with a long yawn to match. I lifted my heavy body and swung my feet down on the ground.

Silence in the air. I overslept, so I must be the only one at home since my little sister gets herself ready in the morning. With Mom's help, of course, they probably didn't even notice that I didn't show my face or thought that I ran off earlier.

My head felt heavy, the migraine I had felt like bricks packed inside of my skull. I wondered how it was going with Kin, do vampires get hangovers?

I walked up to my window and peered through my blinds, the sunburned my eyes. I closed them and winced as I allowed myself to get used to the light before I opened the blinds again. My house is opposite theirs so I get a great view each time. My heart skipped a beat when I saw four black SUVs in their driveway. What on earth could be happening?

I rushed over to my bathroom and brushed my teeth and washed my face. I slipped into a hoodie and grabbed my phone and dug that into my tracksuit pants before I rushed over to her place.

I rang the doorbell, my hands barely pulled back when the door opened. Before me stood Lexi, I knows she was a vampire even though she was wearing her black eye contact lenses. Not like that could make any difference, her skin was still as white as paper. She just stared at me blankly. "Anything you want?"

My phone vibrated. I took it out and saw all the WhatsApp messages that were packed up onto each other. I closed my phone again and looked at Lexi. "Um... I'm looking for Kin, is she here? Is she okay?"

Lexi didn't say anything. Nor did she move. Then she opened the door and I stepped in. She closed it behind me and waited for me to remove my shoes, which I did. Then she lead the way into the living room area where there were about eight vampires that I could count. Minus Claire and Liam. Claire turned and looked right into my eyes. Her heart sunk in relief, she rushed over to me and held me against her chest.

"Oh my god, I'm so glad you're okay," she withdrew from the hug. New tears fell formed in her eyes. "I called your mother this morning to make sure that you're home safe. She said you arrived earlier this morning and would probably skip school. Have you seen Vreemde?"

I looked at everyone in the living room. They're all dressed in black and wore thick black sunglasses to hide their eyes, I would guess. So they're here because of Kin? I wonder why?

"No," I returned my gaze to Claire's metallic eyes, "isn't she home?"

Claire started sobbing again. Liam walked up to her and placed his hand on her back, rubbing it. He looked at me with shattered eyes, which forced one question to dance in my mind. 'Was I wrong about vampires?'

"Kin never came home from the visit you guys had," he excused himself and took Claire over to the couch and had her sit down.

I felt out of place. Surrounded by what I would at first just recklessly label, "monsters" but here they seem to be crying for their daughter. Like they loved her. Why would I even begin to think that they can't love? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?
And other than them expressing human emotions and acting upon them, they haven't killed me yet.

It just registered to me that I might get killed if I decided to stay any longer. Besides, I don't know how long it takes for vampires to act out and lose their bit of humanity.

"Um," I cleared my throat. "I think I'll just... show myself out,"

I turned and left their home. I stood on their deck and checked my notifications. I was tagged on a Facebook post where Kin was announced as missing. She was also mentioned on the school's social media platforms and website. My friends buzzed my phone, bombarded me with questions. About myself and my safety and most importantly, about Kin.