Chapter Six

Narrated by KIN

My whole family spent this past few days fixing the house and preparing ourselves to move in. This is both my parents first time living on their own, in their own place so they were super excited about that.

Mom decided that she wants to live a normal life as well, getting a job at a grocery store. Not for the money, she doesn't need that. But just to do something during the day, and dad got himself a job at the 'S and Son factory'. A factory in town that disguises itself as a shoe factory but in reality, he has to gather all sorts of blood to have it later on sold to whichever creature wants it. And not just blood but they package and sell body parts too. That's his job.

I opened the door and Jason stood there. Lainey ran up to him again, he hugged her. She tugged on his pants, "Jason. Do you wanna see my room?"

Jason looked at me and grinned. Then he looked at her, "sure. Let's go see."

He followed her. Her room is opposite of mine, so whenever she needs me I'll be right there. My room wasn't done yet, but at least Jason is here to help me with the finishing touches. My parents love him, to them he's this sweet shy boy with great grades. Not cold one bit. And Lainey is obsessed with him, she talks about him a lot when he's gone. She probably wants a brother. And older one.

She takes more after my dad, the vampire. So she has a bed in her room, creme walls with pink moonlight. White dresser with pink knobs, pink photo frames with pictures of nature. Her bedding is white, with pink flowers on it. It's cute, but she has a pink railing above her bed because vampires don't sleep on beds nor do they sleep in coffins. We do. Vampires sleep like bats, hanging upside down, we just had the bed moved in so that it doesn't look so empty.

Mother entered her room, "hello Jason."

Jason turned to face my mother who was standing by the door, "hi Mrs Tepes,"

"How are you?"

"I'm excellent."

Mother smiled, "that's great to hear. Lain, Jason needs to help Kin with her room. Okay? Let's go downstairs and leave them alone?"

Lainey frowned and walked up to mom. We walked up to my room, we only have a small spot left to paint. We got dressed and we started painting. No music today. Just sweet silence. I watched him paint from the corner of my eyes. I'll have to find another activity to do with him. When we finished, he helped me by hanging paintings on the dry walls. He picked up one of a single rose in blackness and studied it closely.

"You did this?"

I nodded my head. "I did them all,"

He looked around my mini art gallery. Each wall had a story of its own. He walked up to a painting of a giant black bat with striking red eyes and sharp fangs sitting on a wall. "This one is incredible, the detail. What was your inspiration?"

I sucked in air. How do I tell him that the bat is my grandfather and I'm a vampire? I forced a fake smile and pulled him over to another painting. I hate lying, and I wasn't planning on lying to him over a major part of who I am and where I come from. "From my life, and what I feel,"

We stood in front of a picture of a girl standing in the ocean wearing a white dress as she watched the sunset. "This one's my favourite,"

He looked at me and then back at the painting, "why?"

I looked into his emotionless eyes, today they're dark brown. I didn't know he has brown eyes, I let out a tiny grin. "That's me, to me the painting feels like freedom and reminds me who I am. I cannot touch the wet ground, I faint. And therefore can never go to the beach,"