Eric Clapton #1

Hi all! I hope you guys had a great holiday. This one-shot is something I wrote a while ago, but nonetheless it is something I wrote and something I feel like should be shared with everyone. So since it's about to be 2021, or for some people it already is, I figured I publish it. Maybe we can start this year off on a good note *knock on wood*. I love you all and hope that you are staying healthy! Here you go...

Alright I stood here and waited. Now where's the door?

Intertwining my way between many people, everyone stuck in their own little world, I covered the drink in my right hand with my left, a trick I'd learned long ago back when I was first on tour. I kept taking deep breaths from how fast I was walking, praying that there would be some sort of way to get out of here.

And then I spotted it. So I practically ran.

Sliding open the door made of glass, I thought about how it must've been connecting to the kitchen, for I couldn't exactly tell with all the people that crowded the house.

Whatever, I was outside and I didn't really care. Slamming the door behind me, I quietly hoped that no one saw or heard me. I just wanted to be alone for a bit. And I think that was pretty understandable, considering all that happened.

Walking to my right to escape the light that the inside brought to the outside, I noticed a garden with a run-down, concrete bench in the center of it. It looked too small for someone to sit on, but I decided to face that obstacle anyway, and sat upon it.

Nothing broke underneath me, so I took that as a sign to take a sip of my drink and sigh, feeling relieved that I'd finally gotten away from everything.

After swallowing, I set the drink down to the side of the bench, trying to make sure it didn't fall over from the thick mulch. Once it had reached its balance, I slowly let go and reached into the pocket of my jacket to pull out a cigarette and my light.

Easily enough, I took a drag after lighting it and began to let my mind wander back to when I'd known the person that invited me here tonight. And by known, I meant really knew. Understood.

God, how long ago was that? It felt like forever.

"What are you doing out here?"

"Shit!" I exclaimed and felt myself jump out of my skin. I'd almost dropped my cigarette as well, but luckily that stayed in my hand.

I sighed once realizing who it was, but let that feeling fade as the person who I'd just thought about stood to the left of me.

He kept his distance, no surprise there, and stood beside the glass door as well. Again, no surprise there. It was obvious he wanted no one to see him just as I did.

We generally thought a lot of the same things, which is why it was so shocking that we broke up. Well, not shocking, for I was the one who initiated it, but still a little weird.

"Just trying to get some fresh air. You?"

"Same," He took a few steps closer as we spoke like there was nothing between us. Years of nothing.

"Enjoying yourself then?" I took another drag of my cigarette and began to see his figure for all it was.

He didn't look much different, just more mature. The hair on his head was a lot shorter, and the hair on his face, much longer. His eyes didn't look as vibrant as when I'd last seen him as well, but maybe that's what marriage does to a guy. Or marriage to her at least.

I made a sort of amused face to myself and raised my eyebrows while he thought about his answer.

"Sort of. Yeah," He paused. "Just too many people."