Ray Davies #2 (The Kinks)

Requested by yellowstuff

I saw Yesterday at the movie theater today, and it was so good. Everyone should go see it.

   As soon as you stepped outside, the cold air hit your cheeks and you instantly felt better. Even though you could see your breath and had no coat on, your mind filled with a sense of relief, rather than stress seeming as though you were finally able to get away from the craziness of your job. Even if you could only get away for five minutes.

   Finding a space that was slightly behind the building, you walked over and slid down to the ground, praying that no one would hear you as you did so. Technically, you weren't supposed to be on a break, but with all that was happening to you today, you decided that some quick minutes off was much needed.

   Your day had started off normal, making coffee for those that needed it and filling out your time sheets. It wasn't until the producers "big meeting", which had lasted pretty much all day, that you needed to make what seemed like five-hundred copies per each person, and just about a thousand more coffees, along with bringing in the newest record they talked about every thirty minutes. It wasn't always this busy, but it was almost always this unpleasant.

   Working for the biggest record company in England seemed like it would have been the best job you had ever had. There was only one problem. You were an intern. One who was still in school. And until you could finally work your way up to the top and make some music as a producer, you were stuck with the lousy job of being the assistant to everyone with a higher position than you.

   Thinking about the time when you would need to head back to your devilish job, you sighed and ran a hand through your hair. Next, you felt around in your pocket for a packet of cigarettes, which were easily found. You pulled one out and put it in your mouth, letting it dangle from your lips while you soon after began to search for a lighter.

   "Please let me have a lighter," You groaned to yourself right before searching through the last pocket on your clothes, and not finding any lighters. "Shit."

   At this point you pulled the cigarette out from your lips and shook your head. You rested your arms on your spread out knees, which were up to your chest, and played with the cigarette in your fingers. With no lighter, you had no cigarette to smoke, and with no cigarette to smoke, you were going to forever be stressed out. At least until the end of the day.

   Suddenly, your small fit was cut short by the sound of footsteps quickly approaching where you had been sitting. You silently begged to god that it wasn't your boss coming out to find where you had disappeared to. But then again, you weren't sure anyone would really notice if you disappeared. Only if their coffees started going missing.

   Luckily, it wasn't your boss who had creeped around the corner, but a man who looked to be in his mid twenties, dressed in a suit that sort of made him look like a mod. He had blue eyes and brown hair that looked and was styled a bit like a mop-top that he was trying to grow out.

   "Hello," He said and looked you up and down from where he was standing. He seemed to be towering over you.

   "Hi," You mumbled in reply. "Do you have a lighter?"

   "Uh, yeah, actually I do," He looked in his coat pocket and pulled out a red lighter. As he did this, you remembered that you must have left your lighter in your coat, which you failed to bring outside with you. "Here you go."

   You took the lighter from his hands and lit you cigarette with it, putting it back into your mouth again.

   "Thank you," You said after taking your first drag, feeling the stress instantly fall off your shoulders and handing him back his lighter. "Would you like a cigarette too?"

   "No thanks," He responded, but instead slid down to sit next to you, which you found was a little strange. However, you kept silent and felt his eyes watch you while you continued to take drags of your cigarette.

   "Why are you looking at me like that?" You suddenly spoke and laughed, looking at him as he quickly turned away.

   "I'm not looking at you," He smiled and you saw that he had a gap in between his two front teeth.

   "Okay," You said as you got to the end of your cigarette. You put it on the ground and stomped it out, turning to the man after he started the next part of your conversation.

   "Why are you out here anyways? Do you work here?"

   You took a deep breath and got ready to explain yourself. "Yeah, I work here. But not as a music producer or someone in a band," You paused.

   "So what are you?" He asked.

  "I'm an intern. And a student. But here I have the joy of making coffees and copies for all the big producers, who most likely don't even know I exist. Anyways, today was a big meeting and it felt like every single person needed something done by me. And incase you haven't noticed, I'm not Wonder Woman."

   The man laughed. "I wouldn't have noticed. You seem like the type,"

   "Thanks," You smiled and looked down at your feet. "Why are you out here?"

   "I come out here everyday, sometimes more than others, especially when I'm stressed so I know how you feel," He said and put a hand behind his neck. "But it's not everyday that I see a beautiful girl out here as well."

   "Flirting?" You grinned and blushed awkwardly. "Okay then."

   After said this, you shivered. And the man, instead of answering your inquiry, took off his jacket and placed it over your shoulders. The action had answered your question.

   "Listen," You spoke softly after securing his jacket around your shoulders and standing up. " I really have to get back now. It's been longer than five minutes and someone will be wanting me to get a sandwich for them soon."

   "So you make sandwiches now too?" He jokingly asked and stood up as well to face you.

  "Shut up," You chuckled along with his laugh.

   "I will," He paused his sentence. "If you give me your number."

   "Okay," You smiled and said without hesitation. "Uh, do you have a paper or a pen?"

   "I have a pen. No paper, but always my hand,"

   "Alright," You laughed as he pulled out a pen from his pant pocket this time and handed it to you.

   "Dang, you have everything in your pockets, don't you?" You said while grabbing his hand and writing down your number and name on it.

   You clicked the pen closed and attempted to hand it back to him, but instead said for you to keep it in his coat pocket.

   "Well, don't you want the coat back?" You questioned and tried to take it off from your shoulders.

   He stopped you and placed his hands on your shoulders, putting the coat back on. "Keep it. Then, I'll have something to see you for. And you look better with it anyways."

   Your cheeks went red, partially from the cold, and partially from what he had said. "So we're going to be seeing each other now?"

   "If you want to,"

   "Well then I guess I want to," You said. "But right now, I have to leave." You started to walk away, back to your job, but in a much better mood than when you first came out.

   "Wait!" The man called as you got closer and closer to the entrance. "I never even got your name!"

   "Check your hand!" You called and stopped at the doors looking back at him as he goofily looked down at his hand and recited your name to himself.

   "(Y/N)," You could see him whisper. "My name's Ray!" He yelled again and you laughed.

   You pushed the doors open and pulled Ray's coat tighter around you. "Nice to meet you, Ray," You mumbled.

A/n: I really liked writing that. Thanks for reading! -Liz :)

P.S. So a long time ago, I wrote a McLennon story (my old guilty pleasure) with about thirty chapters. It's complete and I was wondering if I should publish it as a book? What do you guys think?