Addiction

Steve walked in the door after another mission and instantly hugged Bucky, who was drinking a margarita, from behind. The hug took Bucky by surprise but he could recognize that embrace anywhere.

"Hey baby." He greeted, turning his head to kiss Steve's cheek as Steve let go of him.

"You're skinnier than when I last saw you a couple weeks ago. You feeling okay? Also, are you drinking a margarita at 7:30 in the morning?" Steve lightly interrogated, worry consuming him as he tried to keep his cool.

"Well, yes but I was just seeing if you can make a margarita out of Jack Daniels. Turns out, you can." He smirked, taking another sip of the drink. Political Animals reference, anyone? No? Ok.

Steve looked past his husband's light and fun front and furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head as he studied him. "Something's been going on with you lately. You're thinner, acting strange, and drinking in the morning. What's going on?"

Bucky shoved down the panic and alarm that shot through his body at Steve's words. Instead, he smiled his famous Bucky smile and laughed it off. "Nothing's going on, doll. Now come here, you have to see our room. I completely cleaned and rearranged it. Besides, you look like you could use a nap."  He lead him to their bedroom.

Steve followed him and looked around the room. "Wow, it looks great. What made you decide to do this?" He asked, taking his uniform off and changing into sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Bucky shrugged cooly, laying down on the unmade bed. "Just because." He didn't mention that he only cleaned and rearranged the room because he tore it apart completely while searching for misplaced cocaine and couldn't risk Steve finding it first.

Steve accepted the answer and laid down with him, laying his head on his chest. "Why is your heart beating so fast?"

"My heart always beats fast around you." He tried smoothly, kissing Steve's forehead.

"Yeah, that's sweet but, seriously. What's going on? Maybe Bruce needs to-"

"No." Bucky cut him off. "I feel great, we don't need to bother Bruce."

Steve sat up and looked at him, confused and worried. What was going on with him? He studied Bucky's face in silence for a few minutes, waiting for him to keep talking.

Bucky stared anywhere but back at Steve for those minutes. He knew if he locked eyes with Steve in that moment, he'd crack and tell him everything. Because really, he needed help. He knew it. But Damn, admitting it was such a bad move because everything changed immediately after.

Steve got tired of Bucky's eyes darting anywhere but him so he grabbed his jaw and softly pulled his face towards himself until their eyes met. He could see tears in Bucky's eyes, which only confirmed his suspicions of something being really wrong.

Once his eyes met Steve's, Bucky knew he was going to break. His facade went out the window as he bit his lip, tears beginning to fall from his eyes. "Steve." He whimpered softly, breathing unevenly.

Steve sat against the headboard, pulling Bucky into his lap and holding him tight in his arms. "Whatever it is, doll, you can tell me. I won't judge you, I just want to help you."

Bucky sniffled. "I'm not....Steve, I....I'm not sober.....I think I'm...addicted to cocaine and I....I can't stop using." He hid his face in Steve's shoulder, ashamed of what he might think or say.

"Oh sweetheart." Steve sighed softly, tightening his hold on Bucky and softly rubbing his back. "We can fix it. This doesn't make you worthless or weak. You're still my Bucky. You're strong. You're strong enough to get past this and I'm going to be right by your side the whole way, I promise."

"I'm sorry, Steve! I-I didn't mean for it to happen. I just-I just tried it once to feel better and-and then I couldn't stop." He cried, sobbing against Steve's shoulder.

"It's going to be okay, Buck. We'll find you help, I promise. There's all kinds of rehab centers and-"

"No! Please don't send me away. I-I can't. Don't make me. I-I'm-I'm...scared." He admitted as his crying intensified.

Steve shushed him softly, kissing his temple. "Okay, okay, it's okay. I understand. We can find a different option. You don't have to leave."

—————

"Stevie, I did it!" Bucky rolled over onto Steve in bed after waking up and checking the calendar. "I've been clean for a whole month!"

Sam had offered to help get and keep Bucky clean. Getting him past the withdrawal stage had been the hardest. There were lots of insults and cuss words thrown around. Then he relapsed and they had to start over. Then he relapsed again. And once more. But things started to get better and now, even though there were undoubtedly still hard days, Bucky was doing good.

Steve opened his eyes and smiled, wrapping his arms around Bucky and kissing him. "I am so damn proud of you."

"I guess I owe Sam some of the credit. I was really horrible to him for awhile." Bucky chuckled lightly as he laid his head on Steve's chest.

"I vividly remember you calling him a 'bird-brained, know-it-all, sack of motherfucking shit' on more than one occasion." Steve reminisced, happy those days were behind them as he had hated Bucky's withdrawal days.

Bucky let out a laugh. "I called him that yesterday, too. It's also his contact name in my phone."

Steve rolled his eyes playfully. "Of course it is."