Nightmare

Steve lay sleeping next to Bucky in their bed when he woke up. It was still dark but something didn't feel right. He turned to look at Bucky and saw what was wrong. Bucky was shaking like a leave and whimpering in his sleep: another nightmare.

"Bucky. Buck, wake up. You're safe in bed with me. Wake up, Bucky." He said, gently shaking his shoulder.

Bucky jolted awake, sitting upright in bed before beginning to sob.

"Come here, you're okay." Steve cooed, sitting up against the headboard and pulling Bucky against his chest.

Bucky continued to wail uncontrollably, not able to form words or explain himself to Steve. Not that Steve was worried about an explanation yet; all he was focused on was calming his Bucky down. He ran his fingers through Bucky's hair with one hand and wrapped his other arm around him, holding him close.

"You're okay, just breathe Buck. You're safe, baby." Steve assured him as he continued to cry. It took awhile longer before Bucky began to calm down a bit, his sobs reduced to hiccups and sniffling.

"Steve..." he whimpered, huddling closer to the blond man.

"I'm right here, Buck. I've got you."

"I'm sorry for waking you up."

"Don't be." Steve smiled. "Wanna talk about it?"

"It started with Hydra just...torturing me. Then I was watching myself...kill all these people but I-I couldn't stop myself. And when I tried to stop, they...Hydra would....."

Steve sensed Bucky coming close to crying again. He pushed the hair out of Bucky's face and laid down to cuddle against him. "You're okay, they can't hurt you anymore. You're safe."

Bucky tried to move closer to Steve, but he was already cuddled up close so he just buried his face against Steve's neck. "It hurt so much."

"I know, baby, I'm sorry. But it's over, alright? It's not going to happen again, they're done hurting you. You're here with me and nobody can hurt you now."

Bucky pulled away slightly to look up and meet Steve's eyes. "Promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

Bucky relaxed and put his head back where it was, buried against Steve's neck. "I don't want to go back to sleep. I'm afraid."

"Okay, that's alright. Want to go watch Disney movies in the living room?" Steve asked, feeling Bucky's head nod against him. Steve wrapped his arms around Bucky and carried him to the living room. As they got settled on the couch, Steve instructed Jarvis to play a Disney movie.

And that's how Sam found Bucky and Steve asleep on top of one another with Princess and The Frog playing on tv.