Anesthesia

"I don't wanna do this." Bucky pouted, walking with Steve to the MedBay. Steve squeezed Bucky's hand reassuringly.

"You're going to be okay, bubba. It'll be over quick. Bruce will be with you through the whole thing. You'll be asleep the entire time." He reminded him again.

Bucky was having surgery to repair nerve damage from where his arm had been carelessly hacked off years ago. Afterwards, he wouldn't be able to put his vibranium arm on for several days. He was especially dreading that because he felt more vulnerable and embarrassed when he didn't have it on.

They got to the MedBay and Bruce was waiting for them. "Ready Bucky?"

Bucky sighed and looked to Steve for more reassurance. Steve nodded, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be there when you wake up. You'll be just fine, okay?"

"Okay." Bucky spoke reluctantly, hugging Steve tight before following Bruce. Steve began to pace, waiting for Bucky to be done.

—————

"He's okay. The surgery went great, I repaired the nerves. Since he can't put his vibranium arm back on for a few days, I'm going to take it to the lab and work on some improvements." Bruce reported, stopping Steve's pacing.

Steve sighed in relief. "Thank you, Bruce. Really."

"Of course. He's not awake yet, but anesthesia has different effects on different people. Some people are fine, some are loopy, some get very emotional. Would it be better for him if we took him back to your guys' floor before he wakes up?" Bruce suggested, having a strong feeling that Bucky would hate being in such a vulnerable state in an unfamiliar place with anyone other than Steve around.

Steve nodded. "Absolutely. As long as it's safe medically. You don't need to be with him when he wakes up?"

"No, I have FRIDAY monitoring his vitals and giving me updates every 15 minutes. Of course, get me if there's a problem but I'm confident he'll be okay physically. It's just his mental state from the anesthesia and pain meds that I'm concerned about." Bruce reiterated.

"Okay, then yeah, let's take him to our floor."

Bruce pushed Bucky on a gurney into the elevator, Steve walking along beside them. As the elevator took them to the correct floor, Steve looked at his sleeping husband and smiled softly. He looked peaceful for the time being. Then he looked at the bandages on his shoulder where the rest of his arm used to be, feeling an unwelcome familiar feeling: guilt.

Before Steve's guilt could get in his head, the elevator dinged and they were back on his and Bucky's floor.

Bruce helped get Bucky moved to their bed before heading back to the lab. Steve sat beside his husband and waited for him to get up. After nearly half an hour, Bucky whimpered softly.

"Hey, you're okay Buck. The surgery's over, you're alright." Steve said gently, softly brushing his hair away from his face.

Bucky bit his lip as tears escaped his barely open eyes. He tried to hold back, but sobs began to come out anyway.

"Hey, hey, hey, what's the matter? Are you in pain?" Steve felt panicked, even though Bruce said this may happen.

Bucky shook his head. "I want my mom." He cried, having no energy to attempt to stop crying. The pain he felt reminded him of the pain he felt when he woke up in the Hydra lab missing the limb.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." Steve wanted to cry too. He moved to put his arm around Bucky but was pushed away.

"Don't touch me. Everything feels weird and hurts." He explained before crying harder. "I'm sorry. That was mean."