Broken Barnes Protocol

"Buck, we need to talk about this." Steve tried as he followed Bucky off the elevator of the compound and onto their floor.

"What is there to talk about? I was just joking." He huffed, walking into the kitchen and getting a glass of water.

"That's not-no!" He groaned in exasperation, having already tried to get through to Bucky several times. "You told Sam, Tony, and Natasha it was 'only a matter of time before I went back in time for Peggy instead.' I don't even care if you were joking, that's low! I would never do that! If you're genuinely concerned about it, talk to me! Don't make jokes about it to our friends!"

"I'm sorry you can't take a joke." He spat hastily. "I think you're overreacting."

"Don't you think you're underreacting here? I mean, seriously, it wasn't even relevant to the conversation. It's like you went out of your way to add it in. If you're feeling insecure in our relationship, talk to me." He tried to reason with his seemingly irrational partner.

"I don't feel insecure and we don't need to have a whole feelings talk! It was one goddamn joke! Let it go!" Bucky got frustrated, feeling emotions he didn't want to face. His grip on his glass of water tightened in his flesh hand, trying to shove his emotions down.

"I can't just let it go. Not when you clearly aren't feeling secure and happy with our relationship right now." Steve tried. "Just tell me what you're feeling."

Bucky squeezed the glass too tight and it shattered in his flesh hand. Water and glass shards fell to the floor, along with some blood from the new wounds in his hand. He took a few steps towards Steve, standing less than a foot away from him.

"You wanna know what I'm feeling? I feel horrible! You returned the stones and went back to visit her. You can give me that 'it was just to say goodbye and explain' bullshit all you want, but it doesn't change how I felt! I thought you might've left me. You didn't, but I thought you did! But yes, if I talked to you about it, everything would be just fucking fine!" He yelled, throwing the shards of glass that remained in his hand on the ground between them.

"Captain Rogers, need I activate Broken Barnes Protocol?" FRIDAY suddenly spoke from the speakers in the kitchen.

Bucky froze at the words, his heart feeling like it was torn out of his chest as tears pricked his eyes. Broken Barnes protocol? Steve had a protocol in place for if he became a threat? Was he a threat for feeling emotions? He hadn't hurt Steve, nor had he had any intention of doing so. He thought Steve had trusted him, yet here was this talk of activating a Broken Barnes protocol.

"No." Steve answered the AI softly before meeting Bucky's eyes. "Bucky, it's...it's not-"

"No, no I get it. How can you ever truly trust someone who has done what I have? Broken Barnes protocol sounds like a good precaution, make sure I don't hurt anyone ever again." He cut Steve off, tears beginning to escape his eyes. He began to walk away, holding back sobs as he made his way to lock himself in the bedroom.

—————

"Bucky, please open the door." Steve spoke softly for the millionth time, sitting on the opposite side of the locked door. He could hear Bucky's muffled sobs, making him regret ever letting Tony talk him into setting up a protocol. And especially regretting letting him name it.

"Go away!" He cried, the first thing he'd said in hours and giving Steve hope that they were getting somewhere.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry that protocol was ever set up. I trust you, I promise."

"How can you say that?!" He sniffled, wiping the tears from his cheeks. "How can you say you trust me when you have a Broken Barnes protocol set up? How could you even call it that? Does that mean that if I relapsed, I would be broken? Am I broken when I have nightmares or anxiety attacks? I-I'm not broken, Steve!"